Do Protein Shakes Upset Your Stomach?

GSFan
on 7/13/13 12:17 pm

I am pre op (surgery Tues) and on the two week liquid diet.  I can't seem to find a protein shake that doesn't give me diarrhea.  Anyone else have this problem?  I am concerned because I know I will have to use them some post op.

TIA!

LadyLilMax
on 7/13/13 12:56 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Are you lactose intolerant by chance?  If you do not know, then try lactose free protein powder/ready to drink and see if that helps.

Good luck

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

GSFan
on 7/13/13 1:26 pm

Not that I know of, but that's something to think about I suppose.  Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/13/13 2:35 pm - OH

Try a lactose-free protein powder or a soy or egg based protein powder (Jay Robb brand has some tasty egg protein powders that you can get individual packets of it to try at Vitamin Shoppe).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

GSFan
on 7/13/13 2:49 pm
Thanks Lora, I will look for those.
Miamos
on 7/13/13 4:53 pm - OH
After surgery I tried all kind of pre-made protein drinks and home made ones like with milk protein powder and PB2 could not tolerate any most made me feel blah hhh so I add powder to things like sf pudding until I could eat bars. Now I still can't do shake unless made like a smoothie skim milk blueberries or strawberries powder an spinach
PetHairMagnet
on 7/14/13 10:36 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Give the Isopure RTD a chance. I had one bad experience-ONE-but now I am a huge fan and have a good deal of them on hand at all times.

Passionfruit is EASILY my favorite. Grape Frost and Icy Orange are a close second. My MIL tried a Blue Raspberry recently and said it was excellent, but I am not normally a blue raspberry person, so I declined to taste it. Her doctor told her she had to get more protein in and she now drinks 1/2 of one (20g) each morning with her cup of tea. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views