How do you handle stress

mercedes66693
on 7/12/13 12:47 am

Hi everyone,

I know I'm a stress eater I've been for years now.  I'm 3 months out and my job and home life are so stressful.  My job for the past 3 years has been a roller coaster ride as far as not knowing if we will stay open or close the doors or what.  I love what I do but there is so much tension here and I really can't go any place else and make what I'm making now.  They are trying to get financing to keep the doors open and you don't know from day to day what's going to happen.

As far as home life that's a roller coaster too! BF got fired doesn't know if he can collect oh and he's an alcoholic.  Did I mention I helped him refinance his house and now I'm in credit card dept because of myself being stupid trying to help him thinking we'd be together forever (ha) but now I have no way out with my bills and my daughter living with us I can't just pack up and get out.  I just don't know what to do.

I find when the yelling starts at work and the tension is high I start grabbing for things to put in my mouth.   UGH I believe that's why I've been at a stall for 4 weeks.  I'm sorry for just blabbing I'm just looking for any advice.  If I could run away and start over I believe I would. 

So to get back to my question how do you deal with the stress if you are a stress eater .

Thanks

Dee.spunk
on 7/12/13 7:35 am - Sacramento, CA
Well, maybe when you feel the need to grab something, grab a bottle water instead. I'm not a stress eater so I don't know what I would do. Maybe grab some mints or some flavored toothpicks and chew on that. (Though it may not be great for your teeth...) just an idea. Hope it helps.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

BellaNY
on 7/12/13 9:19 am

I've been asking people how they deal with stress, because that's a big concern of  mine too. Almost universally, people have told me that I need to exercise when I get stressed.  Hopefully that will help.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/13/13 4:22 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Personally, I shop!

I have always been a spender, but I have noticed it getting a little crazy lately. If I don't need anything, I buy for others! My niece is turning 13 next month and I got her a Kate Spade bag, matching wallet, phone cover and tote for school. At least I will be a shoo-in for the favorite aunt, lol. :) I am her only aunt...just to clarify.

I was never a stress eater, I was a celebration/reward myself and others kind of eater. And I never wanted sweets, I wanted bread, butter and prime rib. But I don't have any of that in the house and you can't drive through and get bread and butter, so I don't have to worry about impulse items, either.

I have had to learn (and am still learning) how to effectively adjust for ME during celebrations so that others can continue on with the way they have always celebrated. I have started rewarding myself with things. And I am okay with that, so is our salesman at Diamonds Direct, lol.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

BWB
on 7/13/13 4:45 am, edited 7/13/13 4:46 am

I'm a nervous eater and totally understand what you are going through at work.  Banks are not loaning.  It seems like businesses can get money if they have money and not when they really need it.  Doesn't make sense but it happens.  

If you need different skills, now would be the time to take some night courses if possible.  Is the BF bringing in any money?  Who has the larger part of the house debt?  If it is you and he isn't paying the mortgage payments then try to get him out and rent it to someone who will cover the mortgage payment.  Just don't tolerate the Alcholism any longer, especially with a child at home.  

Make a record of everything you have contributed to the household.  You will need it later.

Once you are out of the situation you will start feeling so much better but it is easier to give advice.  Good luck.

How do I deal with stress?  I work in the garden.  I do work at home and it is stressful too so I spend 3 to 4 hours in the evening digging, trimming hedges, and planting.  I love to start new plants from cuttings or seed and it is a lot of walking and sweating.  We like to take drives and it is amazing how much relief that gives.  Your brain has to have some rest time and seeing outside the box into other areas is beneficial.

Katie K.
on 7/13/13 10:20 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I step away from the situation when I am able. I go outside (or just somewhere different if it's nasty out) and call a friend. Now I knit, so I take my knitting to the break room and knit a little before going back. It gets my mind off of things for a little bit. I also have anxiety meds when I need them. I try not to take them until it gets really bad. My last three-month prescription lasted about a year and a half. I would definitely rather learn some coping skills than have to rely on meds, though. I'm on enough psych meds as it is.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views