low sugar

browneyes65
on 7/9/13 4:09 pm - IN

I'm not Diabetic now but when I told a friend I'm in the process of getting weight loss surgery she was like don't get it because I know some people who have had it and they have alot of stomach problems and you will have low sugar like Diabetics do,  It got me worried about the low sugar because my husband is diabetic he's not overweight but I have seen his low sugars before and it scared me because he did not act like himself and he could of went into a diabetic coma. Can you explain if it's the same low sugar Diabetics have.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/9/13 9:50 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I was not diabetic, but have had some experiences of low blood sugar since my surgery. It is likely reactive hypoglycemia, but until I see my doctor and share my blood sugar tracking journal Friday morning, I won't know for certain.

My son is a Type 1 diabetic and what I have experienced is nothing like what I saw him go through in the beginning when we were trying to get his meds right. I am aware and track myself 8 times a day and eat protein with a complex carb if it drops below 60.

I would discuss this with your PCP and your surgeon.

I would NOT take the anecdotal advice of someone who knows someone who had issues. :(

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Justcallmesuz
on 7/9/13 11:00 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

I'm 9 weeks out, so early in my journey. I have not had any low blood sugar issues. 

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/13 7:53 am

Low BS - RH -(reactive hypoglycemia) Most of the time it can be controlled with diet. Some have severe (I am one of them) others only when they overindulge on carbs or sugary food. It may get worse with time - the longer from surgery.. 

Some have that so bad that they need revision... If I knew that I would get it in a form as I do now - I would never had RNY. But I deal with it. Most of the time - I can control mine with very strict diet (no bread, pasta starches, any sugar even most fruits..)  BY now - I got used to it. Don't like it - but I deal with it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views