Medicare and Medicaid, Vitamins

browneyes65
on 7/8/13 10:17 am - IN

Do you know if they pay for any of the over the counter ones ? I just wanted to know sometimes Medicaid helps pay. Thanks

poet_kelly
on 7/8/13 10:23 am - OH

What Medicare covers depends on your Part D plan, which is the part that covers prescription drugs.  That said, I'm pretty sure none of the Part D plans cover over the counter things like vitamins.  They  might cover prescription vitamins, like the B12 nasal spray or shots.

As far as I know, Medicaid doesn't cover OTC stuff, either.  Medicaid rules vary from state to state, though.  In Ohio, where I am, Medicaid won't cover OTC stuff.  However, I have a Medicaid spend down, and I can use some expenses not covered by Medicaid to meet my spend down.  For instance, if I have a letter from my doctor saying I need to take D3 due to a vitamin D deficiency, and I buy that D3 over the counter, I could turn in that receipt towards my spend down.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 7/9/13 2:27 am - IN

Thanks !

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?