Post-op 5days confused about gummy vitamins

aspanishdancer
on 7/5/13 5:18 am - Covington, GA

I have been home 2 days now and thought I was suppost to start taking my vitamins 2weeks that's what it says in the paperwork from my doctors office well the discharge paperwork from hospital say start vitamins the day after your home now the paperwork from the hospital was the same paperwork from my doctors office it just look like they revised it a little what shoul I do 

aliceindietland
on 7/5/13 5:30 am
RNY on 06/11/13

Is your surgeon's office open today?  If so the easiest thing to do would be to call and ask. :)

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

aspanishdancer
on 7/5/13 6:20 am - Covington, GA

No I have called already and I ask for doc to call back and they said he won't for that kind of question...

aliceindietland
on 7/5/13 6:27 am
RNY on 06/11/13

Wow, that is weird. You would think that a nurse would be able to answer the question for you rather than having to bother the surgeon.

For what it's worth, I started vitamins the day I got home from the hospital.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 6:28 am - OH

So no one at your surgeon's office will answer questions about vitamins?  How irresponsible of them.  In that case, I would follow the ASMBS guidelines for now (http://nutrition.otago.ac.nz/__data/assets/file/0005/4784/Ba riatricNutritionReading.pdf) and find a registered dietician to consult with OR a new surgeon to do your follow up with as soon as possible.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tessie W.
on 7/5/13 6:24 am

Is there a nutritionist as part of the program in your doc's office?  That is who would answer it in my surgeon's office.  But - so would my doc if I asked.  Kind of too bad they have that attitude in your office.  For me it was 2 weeks. 

poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 6:26 am - OH

Well, there aren't any gummy vitamins that meet our needs.  Don't take those.

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we need an adult multi with 100% of the RDA of most things.  ALL gummy  multivitamins are missing a BUNCH of things.

The ASMBS says to start our multi and iron as soon as we are discharged from the hospital.  They say we can wait up to 30 days to start our calcium citrate if we want to (but we don't have to, we can start it right away if we want) and up to three months to start our B12 if we want to (or we can start that right away, too).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 248 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 156 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?