Fusion and B12

gracesmadonna
on 7/6/13 3:44 pm - Hudson Falls, NY

So I take Fusion multi-vit.  I am pretty faithful with it.  But now I am having symptoms I believe are from B12 deficiency.  I tire easily, and keep having this weird numb/tingling on the backs of my hands.  Does anyone else take this multi and still need B12?  I am going to call the doctor on Monday.

poet_kelly
on 7/6/13 4:05 pm - OH

I expect everyone that takes Bariatric Fusion for a multi needs B12.  Because we lack both stomach acid and intrinsic factor in our pouches, we can't absorb B12 from a chewable multi OR a multi we swallow.  We need a sublingual, or the nasal spray, or shots, as stated in the ASMBS nutritional guidelines.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gracesmadonna
on 7/6/13 4:32 pm - Hudson Falls, NY

That's what I figured but my surgeon's PA clearly said that the Fusion multi was the only supplement I needed.  Is it safe for me to just take it?  I am a nurse and have been taught that there is no real danger in too much of this vitamin.

poet_kelly
on 7/6/13 4:40 pm - OH

Yes, it's safe to take it.  It's not safe not to take it, in my opinion.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 7/7/13 11:46 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Do a search for Bariatric Fusion on this forum and you will find some great info.  Frankly, info that made me stop taking them. They were too expensive - and at 4 times a day... plus supplementing the B12 wasn't worth it for me.  Also not enough calcium.

Sublingual B12 is cheap and easy - they should also check your levels when you get your labs done.

Better safe than sorry for sure!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 7/7/13 10:28 pm - OH

And you'd really need need EIGHT of them a day to get enough of most  things.  Four only gives you half of what you need.

Laura in Texas
on 7/7/13 10:39 pm

I agree with everyone else. Take B12. It angers me when surgeons give bad information. We have to do own own research and become our own advocates. Our health is at stake.

Pam Tremble gives a lot of great info in her blog:

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/09/nutrition-guidelines- from-asmbs.html

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

gracesmadonna
on 7/9/13 8:52 pm - Hudson Falls, NY

Thanks guys.  I am going to see the doctor today.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 21 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 292 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views