few questions

browneyes65
on 6/26/13 4:45 am - IN

I just wanted to know is it hard eating every four hours, I usually don't eat during the day I will usually eat around 3:00 in the afternoon so this will be hard for me. I also wanted to know is it hard to get in all the protein and vitamins, I'm so afraid I won't know what to do that maybe I won't get enough protein or forget my vitamins, I have not had surgery yet but working on it . Thanks

angeleigh
on 6/26/13 4:50 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

It takes 21 days for something to be come habit. So at fist I set an alarm on my phone for 9am, 11am, 1pm, 9pm. To remind me to take my meds. As far as the eating, I do a protein shake in the morning then depending on work, I dont eat again til around 1. Then I eat at 1, 5, and a protein snack like cheese at 9 after I take my night meds. Getting the protein isnt that hard. I can do 1 shake and its 35 grams of protein, which is half of what i need in a day.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/26/13 5:23 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I do about the same, except I never exceed 30g of protein as much of what I have read says that your body cannot utilize more than 30g at a time and 25 is the optimal top end.

I am often so full after taking my pills that I cannot eat for over an hour. So I have to plan appropriately. But teaching myself to eat throughout the day took me a few weeks pre-op and by the time I was a month post-op it was feeling more routine.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Kim S.
on 6/26/13 5:00 am - Helena, AL

If you think it is too hard, then it is.  If you think you can do it, then you can.

It is all about what YOU decide to do.

Educate yourself on nutrition and plan each day the night before.  The long term successful people are the ones that completely changed their lifestyle and habits, and there are many of us, so it is not impossible.  It is simple, but not easy.

We are here to support you.

poet_kelly
on 6/26/13 5:53 am - OH

I eat every three hours or so.  It would be a little hard for me to stretch it out to eat only every four  hours.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kinny09
on 6/26/13 11:50 am, edited 6/26/13 11:52 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

In the first few days/weeks after surgery you'll mostly just be on your protein shakes and low/no calorie liquids, and maybe pureed foods. You will likely meet with a dietician before and after (many times) as part of your management who will go over everything you need to know and more. It's very overwhelming at first but it's really easy once you get into the swing of it a few days in. I'm 15 days post op now and feeling really good about my supplements, protein and fluid intake. I don't like hand-writing food logs as my nutristionist first suggested, instead I prefer to type it into a word document on my computer or jot it down into my ipad. I have a system like this right now:

1 Shake + 1 Multivit (no iron, don't take calcium product and iron together) + 1 Chewable Calcium

Water

1 Shake + Chewable Calcium + Chewable Probiotic

Water

1 Shake + Multivit + 1 Chewable Calcium

Water

Low sodium V8 before bed + chewable Iron

I have a pillbox with AM/PM for each day of the week and it's easy to just keep it full and see what I need to take, have never missed a supplement yet this way. I was certain I'd never figure all of this out before my surgery but it really does all fall into place after the surgery...

Oh and a tip on shakes, I got REALLY sick of chocolate flavored shakes, it was downright nauseating to me. Today I purchased some Unflavored protein shakes from Unjury, so I can basically just drink a glass of milk without having that overwhelming fake sugar/sweetness taste. So if you can, look for a variety of flavors and unflavored for when you're sick of it. Unjury also make a protein soup as well which I think tastes really great..

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Sherrie P.
on 6/26/13 12:54 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

In the beginning don't worry about eating - worry about DRINKING.  Dehydration is bad.  You will work up to eating more regularly as you get a little further out.  Vitamins and drinking..

I take calcium, my acid blocker and some vitamin D and my B12 when I wake up and brush my teeth.

I take my second dose of calcium as "lunch dessert" - I use the Bariatric Advantage Bites.

My third calcium is usually after dinner around 7-8pm.

Then at 11pm I take my multi-vitamin, allergy pill and colace.  Brush my teeth. 

So incorporating vitamins into my daily routine of brushing my teeth/getting ready for work or bed really helped.  I do that every day, regardless.

I have chewy bites of calcium all other the house, at work and in my purse, so they are always available when I think about them.

I also eat about every three hours.  It is great because I can eat a little bit - like string cheese, then I am full :-)

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

browneyes65
on 6/26/13 5:17 pm - IN

everyone is so helpful, I guess it's just you know so much from experience and everyone makes it sound so easy. It helps to have someone to come to if I have questions.  Thanks everyone

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views