struggling with food thoughts and diet restrictions at 3 weeks post-op

Debb1511
on 6/23/13 7:28 am - NE
RNY on 06/03/13

Hello.  My name is Deb and I am having struggles dealing with not being able to eat very many foods, and feel depressed.  I also have some food addictions.  I miss sugar a lot!  Has anyone else been through this??

AnchorsAweigh
on 6/23/13 7:36 am

I'm guessing everyone has been through this. At three weeks post-op I was miserable. Couldn't eat/drink what I was supposed to, slept in a recliner because my bed wasn't comfy and totally exhausted. Now, at nine weeks, I eat better, drink better, sleep just fine and overall am doing great. Don't let the depression get to you--I think lots of us go through that stage. It really does get better!

Debb1511
on 6/23/13 7:41 am - NE
RNY on 06/03/13

Thanks so much for the reply!  I appreciate the support.  This post makes me more hopeful.

Debbie

poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 7:49 am - OH

I haven't been through a food addiction, but sure, I've experienced missing food.  Are you getting treatment for the addiction?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Debb1511
on 6/23/13 7:56 am - NE
RNY on 06/03/13

Hi, Kelly:

I am in a great program called Overeater's Anonymous.  Thanks for asking!  I am also getting some counseling.

poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 7:58 am - OH

That's good.  I'm sure the counseling will help, but of course it takes a while to work through things.  Does OA have sponsors or a phone list, like AA and Al-Anon, so you could call someone if you're really struggling?

One thing that helped me in the early days was to just remind myself that the liquid diet or pureed foods were just temporary.  I was gonna get to eat good food again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brenda S.
on 6/23/13 8:06 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
There is a program called FA - Food Addicts in Recovery. They have sponsors and meetings.

Debb1511
on 6/23/13 8:21 am - NE
RNY on 06/03/13

I do have a good sponsor for OA so this also helps quite a bit!  Have a good week!

karenp8
on 6/23/13 7:54 am - Brighton, IL

I remember feeling like this 10 months ago too! Just remind yourself that soon you will be able to eat most foods in small amounts. What did that sugar you love do for you anyway? I was a  sugar fiend too and it made me morbidly obese with diabetes and high blood pressure. Does that sugar mean so much to me that I want to give up my size 2 or 4 pants and feeling great just to have it? No -in fact I don't even miss it now at all!

Brenda S.
on 6/23/13 8:10 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
I struggled with some of the same feelings. It gets better. You are missing one of your dearest friends. As I mentioned to Kelly above (for your benefit), there is a program called FA for food addiction. It may be helpful for you. I missed those old friends dearly at first...probably withdrawal from my many last suppers. No. I could probably eat a dab if whatever I wanted, but I don't crave the junk anymore. Once it's out of your system and your mind catches up to how BAD that stuff is for you, it becomes so much easier. Hang in there Sweetie!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 12 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views