Medicare and Medicaid

browneyes65
on 6/24/13 2:40 am - IN

I have a appointment June 28 to try to get help with the 20% Medicare does not pay. I just wanted to know for other people who have been through the process do I wait first for medicaid then file with medicare or file now with Medicare?My Dr told me he would give me a referral when I'm ready, does that go to the bariatric Dr and do they get a hold of Medicare, not sure how to proceed. Any information would be helpful I want to get this started.

brenda_m
on 6/24/13 3:36 am - Renick, WV

Your surgeons office should submit your paperwork to medicare when your ready. They will bill medicare and then medicaid. You shouldnt have to worry about anything. Do you have a pro-op diet or any pre-op diet and exercise you have to do before surgery?

molly3613
on 6/24/13 3:39 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
My primary doctor sent a letter of recommendation to the bariatric surgeon's office. He then, when he saw I met Medicare's requirements, performed the surgery. Then he billed Medicare and my secondary insurance. Medicare does not require a pre approval. Just call them and ask for their requirements. The BMI needed, the co morbidities, the years of weight and blood pressure etc. My primary doctor had my history and send what was needed to the surgeons office. I don't know anything about Medicade as I have AARP Plan F as my secondary and it picked up where Medicare left off. It was very easy. No insurance approval or waiting period. My surgeon did make me do 3 months in their weight management program but that was his request and not a requirement of Medicare. It was for my own education and I am glad I did it.

poet_kelly
on 6/24/13 4:18 am - OH

Medicare does not pre-approve WLS.  There is nothing for your doctor to file with them. AFTER you have surgery, they just send them the bill.

When you have Medicare and Medicaid, Medicare is your primary. The doctor bills Medicare, they pay their part, then they will bill Medicaid for the rest.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AR_Queen
on 6/24/13 10:00 am
RNY on 05/29/13

Medicare (traditional) and Medicaid both require that your surgery be done by a surgeon who is a part of Center of Excellence.  Medicare publishes their requirements for procedures, and I am pretty sure that WLS has national rules (rather than different rules for each state)  You can look the rules up on Medicare.gov.  Your surgeon's office should be very familiar with the requirements for Medicare and Medicaid, if they are a Center of Excellence.  If they are not, you will have to pick a different center that is.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views