Cold Feet

APisceanGaLinWC
on 6/19/13 2:57 pm - CA
RNY on 06/28/13

My RNY surgery is a week and two days away and I'm starting to get cold feet.  The thought of all the pain I'd go through and giving up the foods I love is making me want to chicken out.  Did anyone else feel this way before their operation?

Kelly M.
on 6/19/13 3:39 pm - TX

I sure did feel the same way, but am so thankful I went on and did it!Hang in there, so much to look forward to...I have read many others felt the same.Let us hear from you...Ill be thinking of you.I had my surgery Oct 15,2012 and down 111 pounds and still a work in progress.No problems either.

Kelly in Texas   Gastric Bypass   Oct 15 2012  

Allen Y.
on 6/19/13 3:47 pm - Garland, TX

Only a small fraction of us DUMP post RNY. I am one of that fraction. So I can never have something like cake, or candy or anything with much sugar in it. I can, but it makes me sick as a all get out.

It's a good trade for all the mobility and quality of life I have now.If you don't dump post wls, you will be able to eat that , so what exactly are you giving up? Just the ability to eat three loaded plates full of food at one time.

E R.
on 6/19/13 4:29 pm - Switzerland

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago and also were anxious about giving up the food which I love. I am sure that you have a good reason why you wannted to do the surgery, so just focus on your reason. I wanted to live a healthy life and I knew thst I would not be able to do it without the surgery. 

RNY:  4 June 2013

sirenitycalling
on 6/19/13 7:11 pm - OH

First, I must say that pain is relative and everyone experiences and perceives it differently. That being said, they do have pain management in place to anticipate post-operative discomfort. If this is a major concern, please call and ask your MD about it or you may even be able to read about it in the surgery handbook.

Personally, I felt a little pressure in my lower abdominal area until I started walking (trapped gas and could not relax with a catheter in me) and a twinge in my shoulder that went away after a good massage and a warm water bottle. I was hallucinating about butterflies during the initial hit-by-a-truck-feeling stage so I do not remember really hurting but I remember butterflies and someone trying to get me to rest more in the pacu (post-op recovery area before the transfer to the patient room).

As for food, nothing tastes as good as thin feels. The benefits far out weigh the risks. You need to do this for you and have faith in your MD. Bonus, you have a new world opened to you. I never ate sashimi, quinoa, kefir, or tofu pre-op and now I am bold enough to get out of my comfort zone and try things I was uncertain about.These are new foods I adore and eat regularly. I can now cross my legs; look fierce in a dress; wear a fedora; dye my hair a bold red color and style it short; dance in public; and know if I could do this surgery again I would do it in a heart beat.

Puree stage ideas include taco bell's refried bean cup with a little extra taco sauce (only try to eat half, you will be full); manicotti filling with marinara (yes, an Italian restaurant will make it this way for you if requested); creamy soups; and eggs.

Another insider fact, your tastes and cravings change. But if there is a major desire for something off of the diet, you can chose to either try a healthier alternative or implement the three bite rule when you are back to solid foods again. Only use the three bite rule if you have eaten all your required protein first. Usually by the time you finish the protein, there may only be room for a bite but you will have better control and be able to savor that bite with pride for not eating an entire serving or more of whatever it is that is off your limits.

Things to be buying or have on hand:

fuzzy slippers (hospital)

plain chapstick (right after surgery; can not sip anything and strong smells can make you a little nauseous)

liquids to sip on (warm and cool options because some pouches like things hot and some not)

protein powder (check labels carefully to make sure they are right for post-op care)

shot glass (all you can tolerate at a setting for a few days)

1/2c, 3/4c, and 1c sized bowls and saucer/salad plates (meal size progression and portion control for maintenance)

baby spoon and fork (mind trickery)

chopsticks

a list of bariatric recipe sites (worldaccordingtoeggface bariatictv wlschannel)

You can do this and we will have your back when you return.

APisceanGaLinWC
on 6/19/13 11:18 pm - CA
RNY on 06/28/13

Thank you all for the encouragement and tips.  I know I just need to be more positive about this. Change is good, right?

sirenitycalling
on 6/20/13 3:59 am - OH

Change is exciting and there is beauty and freedom that is lost when the weight is there. I have seen a lot of nature that I would not get to see simply because I was weighed down in ways I never considered. Embrace this chance and know you will be among the few that can say 'I have two birthdays' one was when you entered the world and the other is when you began to re-experience it.

lovedbymany09
on 6/20/13 4:13 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Change is great. I had my surgery on 6/3/13 and I was stressing about the pain of the surgery and my outcome. I wasn't worried about foods I was giving up because for years I have damage my body and caused all types of issues. I'm looking for to the new me and I would do it again if I had too. It feels good getting on the scale and seeing it go down. kiss

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

Athlynne
on 6/21/13 2:43 am

Oh, I almost ran out of the hospital, several times. I sometimes regret having it done, but only because I hate my protein drinks and I sometimes get nauseous.

Overall, I think I'll be happy I did it.

"I'm pleasant, but I have issues." - MST3K

Start weight: 290 lbs.
Current weight: 205 lbs.

Surgery date: April 15, 2013

APisceanGaLinWC
on 6/21/13 3:09 am - CA
RNY on 06/28/13

Hi Athlynne.  How has your experience been so far?  Any pains?

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views