Is 63 low for BS after an hour of eating?

Missy A.
on 6/19/13 11:29 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I have been having dizzy spells for quite a while now, as well as extreme exhaustion/fatigue. So the other day my doc sent me home with blood sugar monitor and told me to check my bs when I get dizzy and take notice of when I ate last. My average bs is around 73-78, but this evening was 63 an hour after I ate dinner. Is this low for right after eating? I know my doc said normal levels is 70-100. I don't know much about bs levels and hypoglycemia and haven't researched it yet, so if any could give me some good information and your thoughts I would appreciate it.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

poet_kelly
on 6/19/13 11:35 am - OH

63 is a bit low for any time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missy A.
on 6/19/13 11:40 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Thanks Kelly! Do you know much about low blood sugar or blood sugar levels? Any information that you're willing to share would be appreciated. 

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Turtle Lynn
on 6/19/13 12:36 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

70 is pretty much the lowest you want to go at any point in time . . .usually once you drop below 70 you feel pretty crappy and are considered to be hypoglycemic.  I would definitely let your doctor know that you dropped down to 63.  

I would keep tracking it and see if it continues or if it was a one time deal and they are also going to ask you what you ate, so you will want to keep a record of that as well if you're not already.  I would also suggest checking your sugar levels anytime you get dizzy/lightheaded or nauseous/headachey feelings, they can all be indicators of low blood sugar, and make sure you keep either  small containers of orange juice with you and/or the glucose tablets that they sell for diabetics in your purse and in your car in case your sugar drops too low and you need a quick sugar boost.  

Better to be safe than sorry, low blood sugar is not something you want to play around with, you can deteriorate VERY quickly!

Good luck with everything, and I hope this helps!  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

PetHairMagnet
on 6/19/13 10:16 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

For my doctor, that would be too low. He wants me to stay above 80.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Scoobydoo061423
on 6/20/13 5:46 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

My normal is 65-69. I often fill dizzy and light headed. I was just told to eat something when that happens. I have low blood sugar and low blood pesure. keep an eye on it, if it gets really bad I go for pbj on a slice of bread to pick it back up real fast. Be careful with it.... it's not a good thing to keep it low.

Reach for the moon, if you fail at least you will lay among the stars.

julia_b5
on 6/21/13 10:52 am
I know when I was checking mine regularly it would be the highest 1 hour after eating and I never ever even fasting saw numbers that low!!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 139 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?