Question

browneyes65
on 6/1/13 3:24 pm - IN

Can the Dr take out your gall-bladder when you have your weight loss surgery to avoid problems down the line ?

agraydolfin1
on 6/1/13 3:43 pm - TX

Mine did!

Mo Diggity
on 6/1/13 4:34 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I asked my surgeon (I haven't has surgery yet), and he said that he doesn't take it out, because there's not always a problem down the road.....so I guess it's up to each surgeon's preference !!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

JJ_
on 6/1/13 5:31 pm

I did not have my gallbladder removed.  I had surgery in December 2011 and no issues or problems with the gallbladder.

Judy

poet_kelly
on 6/1/13 10:06 pm - OH

Sure, he can, but many prefer not to remove a healthy organ.  There is a medication called Actigal you can take for six months post op that greatly reduced the risk of gall stones due to rapid weight loss - 32% of patients that do not take Actigal get gall stones, but only 2% that take Actigal get gall stones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/2/13 7:35 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On June 2, 2013 at 5:06 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Sure, he can, but many prefer not to remove a healthy organ.  There is a medication called Actigal you can take for six months post op that greatly reduced the risk of gall stones due to rapid weight loss - 32% of patients that do not take Actigal get gall stones, but only 2% that take Actigal get gall stones.

Is this prescription? I go back on the 10th and would love to ask for it then if it is prescription.

Thanks!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 6/2/13 11:26 am - OH

Yes, it's Rx.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Miamos
on 6/1/13 10:13 pm - OH
They will complete test and see if your gallbladder is a problem before surgery, if so some take it out during surgery. I was one of the odd ones that gallbladder was fine before surgery then acted up after surgery despite taking the actagal med. So I had mine out two weeks ago a little over 6 month after surgery. It was an easy surgery took about 2o minutes four small holes was home in a couple hours.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/2/13 12:59 am - OH

Some do it routinely (my insurance authorized it as the same time as the RNY), but most surgeons -- like mine -- will not remove a healthy organ just because there is about a 30% chance that it will develop problems down the line.  (Would you have your breasts removed just because there was a 30% chance of getting breast cancer?)  Although we can live without it, the gallbladder DOES serve an important function, so removing just because it might cause trouble later doesn't make much sense.  IF you already have stones or something, that increases the chance of a problem later, though, so taking it out makes a little more sense.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Larry Wassmann
on 6/2/13 3:58 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

They will not take it out unless it is bad. I knew mine was bad but they gave me the test and said it was find. I asked them to test again and do a CT scan and sure enough it was bad and they took it our during WLS. That ended 30 years of pain for me. So if you think yours is bad, make sure they do all the tests they can because having one more surgery is no fun.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 276 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views