So sick and tired of being sick...(TMI ahead)

honestlinzel
on 6/1/13 5:47 am - CA

Well, I am 7 weeks post op as of yesterday. The first 2 weeks after surgery was all healing and being on liquids. Not much going on. Then I went to blended foods and that is where issues started. I was getting sick every time I would eat. Throwing up/nausea/severe migraines etc. Then I went on to soft foods. Everything continued and got worse. I ended up going to the ER and my surgeon said I had a build up of stomach acid that had filled my pouch. They gave me meds, and put me on 1 pill a day of protonix. By week 5 I was still having some issues, just less. I was also having a lot of abdomen pain and tenderness. Went to the ER, my surgeon and his "team" figured out that I have an ulcer. (YAY!) So I was put on Carafate 4x daily. That has fixed the vomiting and pain.

That leads me to this past week. For 6 days now I have been feeling really sick. No matter what I eat, or don't eat I have diarrhea. It is so bad that I am running to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Yesterday I only ate a few grapes and those made me sick (from the sugar I think?) and still I was running to the bathroom. Today, I was in my car and had to speed home or I would have had a problem in the car.

I don't understand what the hell is going on. At this point, I have been sick so often and so much that I almost regret this choice. :( When I went to see my surgeon in the ER the last time, he was not happy at all. He didn't understand why I was in so much pain and so sick when he couldn't find what was going on besides the Ulcer.

ugggggggh.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

VintageChick
on 6/1/13 6:28 am
I'm so sorry. Nothing to offer except to say I hope you have this figured out soon.
Calla Lily
on 6/1/13 7:26 am
RNY on 01/23/12

Oh that sounds awful! I hope what ever is causing this is quickly identified and resolved for you.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

mussit64
on 6/1/13 11:13 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

Do you still have your gallbladder... That's exactly what I did when I had mine... They took mine out with surgery.. I will 7 weeks Thursday... I hope you get to feeling better

MBMom
on 6/1/13 11:42 am
RNY on 09/17/12
I second the gallbladder suggestion. I was very sick with mine. .. vomiting multiple times per day. Once it was out, no more issues! Hope you feel better soon.
MyLady Heidi
on 6/1/13 12:20 pm

I am sorry you are going through all this pain.  Can you handle any type of protein drink just to keep your energy up?  I hope your body adjusts and starts to feel better.  Good luck.

bma939601
on 6/1/13 12:32 pm - OH

I feel the same way!! I was told not to have any fresh fruits with seeds or skins for 3 months. I am 1 month post op and have regretted it everyday....smh i was so sick i vowed never to eat again and then ended up in a psych ward for a week cause apparently thats crazy talk??? lol well, thats how i felt and it is a horrible feeling. I hope you get better soon!! They say it gets better with time so lets hope!!

JaneJetson60
on 6/1/13 2:28 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

I too was wondering maybe the gallbladder.  I don't know what tests they performed to diagnose you with an ulcer, but they may have to do an ultra sound to see if anything is going on as far as your  gallbladder.  I had to have one prior to surgery just for that fact and sure enough I had a few stones, never had problems and they were then authorized to remove it the same time I had my RNY.  I feel for you because I had nausea for quite a long time and diareah for several weeks but after that things started to improve.  There definately sounds like there is something going on and I sure hope they can get to the bottom of this.  When do you go back to see your surgeon? If anything, if it's awhile before seeing him can you see your PCP?  You can't keep going on like this.  Of course you feel regret when you feel so sick. cool  Hang tight, keep on it until something is done.  Keep us posted.  Take care and will be thinking about you.  Jane

honestlinzel
on 6/1/13 3:17 pm - CA
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually had my gall bladder removed when I was 17. So that's not the issue. I will call my PCP this week for sure

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

lesbella
on 6/3/13 1:59 pm
RNY on 07/25/13

Are you still taking the Protonix?  Diarrhea is a common side effect.

Leslie

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?