come to the realization this is now a normal part of life for me...

big42long
on 5/27/13 10:51 pm - OH
Nausea! I'm almost 1 year post-op and suffer from nausea on a daily basis. I take prilosec and carafate daily. I've also been prescribed phenergan and zofran which no longer help. It doesn't matter what I eat because it is always there. Does anybody else suffer from this or have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

a_better_life81
on 5/27/13 11:51 pm - Concord, NC
RNY on 07/24/12

I am almost one year out from surgery and while I have had a couple of other problems. No nausea. I would say if your current Dr can not figure out what may be causing this, you might want to seek out a second opinion. This amount of nausea is not "normal" and should be looked into. 

Amy Smith
on 5/28/13 12:55 am

I am 4 years out and an only describe my nausea as morning sickness.  I alternate between phenergan and zofran, as either one for too long stops working.  I also have tried a small dose of antacid, which helped slightly, but not long term.

I would recommend ginger!  It actual does help for me.  Although gross tasting to me it does help with the nausea so I do not have to take prescriptions all of the time.

Here are the things that create increased nausea for me:  anything with sugar alcohols, milk products (everything is lactose free), white carbs.  I have found that warm foods help me keep nausea at bay (ie room temp water is better than cold, etc.)

I feel for you as it was at the end of my second year when I just came to the realization that this is life for me.  Trust me, you will learn to manage it, although frustrating! I remember feeling defeated, but 2 years later I am still thankful and consider it part of my gift! 

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

PetHairMagnet
on 5/28/13 7:02 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would go see your surgeon, that is not good. Hope you get an answer soon!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jenni-11yrPostOp
on 5/28/13 10:15 am

Are you getting in enough water- not fluids bu****er? For most RNY post ops nausea and lack of water or dehydration go hand in hand. For me the required 64 ounces per day was never enough. Nausea was my constant companion until I upped the water to 96 ounces per day and it quit. It took a couple weeks of doubling my daily intake but once I rehydrated myself I wasn't nauseated anymore. Many aren't when they reach their water intake limit they need daily. I worked out at many strenuous activities and would up the water depending on what I was doing. 11 yrs out I still get nauseous if my water drops below 80 or 90 ozs. per day. I've done as many as 160 ounces per day when in the southwest at a training facility and working out in the dry air, and I've dropped to 85 or so ounces and I do much better on more. Up your water considerably and see if it doesn't get better. If you are still having problems and the docs can't find anything physically wrong find a good therapist who deals with weight loss patients. Sometimes that helps our physical symptoms when all else fails.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

Most Active
Recent Topics