Leap of faith - eating more to lose?

Tiggybeep
on 5/16/13 11:41 pm
RNY on 04/02/13 with

While on day 14 of an annoying (understatement) plateau at 6 weeks out, I've been consulting around about what I can do about it.  Consensus of 3 separate professionals (psychopharm, nutritionist, bariatric nurse practitioner) is that I need to be eating MORE in order for my body to leave starvation mode.  They're recommending 1000 (minimum)-1200 kcal (ideal), vs the 800-ish I've been getting in.  I'm scared, but need to try to trust them.  Yikes.  Here goes nothing...

cajungirl
on 5/16/13 11:43 pm

Reasonable recommendation......it's good to shock the body for many to get things moving again.  Keep focused on protein. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

beverlyp
on 5/17/13 12:07 am

good luck with the 1000 calories.  So far I am lucky to get between 500 and 700, after the protein and water there is just no more room..lol.  It is true about more calories=more loss though.  I was stuc****il I picked up the calories and carbs a bit. 

ShrinkingJoe
on 5/17/13 12:23 am, edited 5/17/13 12:29 am

Here is an interesting article on the subject. It is not as simple as it seems:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again

Here is another one:

http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

And yet another:

http://www.weigh****chers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

MrsLitch
on 5/17/13 12:50 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
At 11 months out I'm lucky to get in 1100 calories no way I could have done it that early out eating protein first. There just wasn't room. What I did find that worked for me though, was if I started to slow or hadn't lost in 5 days was to throw in a carb heavy day or two followed by a return to protein forward. I didn't have a stall or week I didn't lose at least one pound until 9 months out when I was approaching goal. You just have to play with your body and figure out what works for you. I got the idea from another poster who saidb the carb days worked for her. Mind you I ate little to no carbs most days, other than carb day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Kim S.
on 5/17/13 1:23 am - Helena, AL

You may have to try many things to see what works for you.  There is no "one size fits all" approach.  Every body is different.

For instance, I lost EVERY SINGLE WEEK for 13 months.  I NEVER HAD A STALL.  I followed the eating guidelines and I was a heavy exerciser.  I'm not sure what made me a "fast loser" since I'd never had that experience before in my life!

In maintenance, you'll have to do similar experiments to see what is your ideal.

PrincessBelle
on 5/17/13 6:09 am
Ditto the prior post-I'm lucky to make 550-700 cals. Surgery 3/11/13 & I'm lucky to get in 3 ounces of food. The only way I could get to 1000 would be if I had several more protein shakes a day.

RNY 3/11/13. 

ShrinkingJoe
on 5/17/13 8:06 am

If you really want more calories and you can't eat  a lot, you need a calorie dense liquid, like olive oil.  One tablespoon (15 milliliters) has 120 calories.  On an empty pouch, it will slide right through.  Two tablespoons will give you 240 calories.  As a side bonus, it will also help prevent constipation.

frgprncs
on 5/17/13 8:22 am - Lake Stevens, WA
RNY on 04/02/13

I'm right there with you! I think we had surgery the same day or close to it.  everyone tells me the same thing...and I'm like..WHAT?  eat more to lose more??? that just makes no darn sense to me....but I'll try...most of the time just looking at food makes me want to upchuck so not sure how I'm gonna get more in!

AnchorsAweigh
on 5/17/13 11:40 am

I, too, was told to eat more. I finally managed to go from about 300 calories a day to 500 calories a day. Still not where they want me but as soon as I increased I did start losing weight again. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views