Fruit and Creamy

pjw19_65
on 5/15/13 2:01 pm

I asked the question about pasta earlier, but what about the sauce?  How far out before we can have something creamy, for instance, sugar free cool whip or alfredo sauce?  And now that I am on fruits can I have strawberries?  What are some other fruits that I can have?  Thanks for all the great feedback.

poet_kelly
on 5/15/13 2:19 pm - OH

I don't know what your surgeon's plan is.  If you have questions about his plan, call the office in the morning to ask.

I was on pureed foods at one week post op.  Then I was on soft foods.  I could have eaten low sugar cool whip (I don't think they make sugar free coolwhip) on pureed foods, like on my yogurt or pudding if I wanted.  Alfredo sauce is usually high in fat so it probably wouldn't be a good choice real early out.

On pureed foods, I could have pureed fruit, like unsweetened applesauce.  On soft foods, I could have soft fruits, like strawberries.  Again, I don't know what your doc's plan is, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/13 2:23 pm - OH

If there are any restrictions on what fruits you can have, your surgeon's food plan should specify that.  The only fruit that I had to wait on beyond the clearance for any fruit at all was pineapple because it is hard to digest.

i wouldn't expect there to be any restriction on when you can have SF Cool Whip.  As far as Alfredo sauce (or any other kind of cheese sauce) isn't really a matter of how far out in terms of your pouch healing (since it smooth and doesn't require chewing), but how far out in terms of whether or not you should be eating high fat sauces.  I would personally strongly suggest that you avoid them until you are done losing.

in general, you will be far more successful if you embrace a new way of eating and leave behind the old foods that are either high in fat, calories, or carbs and have no protein, or take up valuable pouch space that should be used for protein instead. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JaneJetson60
on 5/15/13 2:31 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

Do you have a program book or pamphlet that has the information in it as to what foods and fruits you can or cannot eat?  I had information every stage of the way up to a year so I was never without information and what I should eat and drink.  I stay away from pasta and all of that stuff that made me obese in the first place. It might be a trigger food for you.  Just because we can eat certain things doesn't mean we should.    In a year I have learned so much and never at a loss as to what I should be eating.  I hope you have a registered dietician that can help you.  Unfortunately NUTS are not trained well and don't need to be liscense to practice and so many of them are  uneducated as to what bariatric patients should be taking in as far a vitamins and protein and foods.

No matter, because we cannot give you clearance as to what you can and cannot eat.  That is why you need to talk to your surgeon and be given some clear facts as what your lifestyle will be like. This info should have been given to you right from the beginning.way prior to surgery.  I feel very fortunate that I had a surgeon  who was a stickler on researching and learning all you can about the surgery you are about to have.  Heck, he even recommended that his patients joined Obesity Help for support. 

You have to be careful with fruit because they have alot of sugar but strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries are all good for you  But eat these in moderation like all our food.  Maybe you can give them a call tomorrow and get soem info emailed to you as far as what you can eat.

Good Luck!  Jane

honestlinzel
on 5/15/13 2:45 pm - CA

Fruits are pretty high in sugar. It is best to look online and see which ones have the least and most sugar.

For me, I found melons to be the best choice. Mostly because they are soft and easy to eat.

Alfredo sauce is a bad idea for a few reasons. If you are lactose intolerant you will get sick. I also have no idea of any alfredo that is low in fat. Is that even possible? :/

My husband made me a balognese sauce. It's red sauce with onions, garlic, ground meat, spices, and supposed to have wine but we skip it. I ate just the sauce he made and no noodles.

Sugar free cool whip: I haven't had this yet :(

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

LadyLilMax
on 5/15/13 3:26 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

As all the wonderful vets said: check with your surgeon's office and with your Dietician for more detailed instructions on what to eat/not eat and when.

Just a suggestion:  I use a lot of the Walden Farm products which are zero calories, no fat, no gluten, no sugar and all natural ingredients.  They do make an Alfredo sauce.  It is not like a fat laden alfredo but does nicely for those cravings.  My DH hates their products but I love them.  Their barbque sauce is amazing. I love their peanut spread as well.  I use their salad dressings.  Go check them out.  They sure helped me out in the beginning stages and now I prefer them most of the time.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Mary Catherine
on 5/15/13 10:27 pm
I take an ice cream scoop and have a scoop or two of frozen sugar free cool whip instead of ice cream.
ShrinkingJoe
on 5/16/13 12:00 am, edited 5/16/13 12:10 am

I think it all depends on what you can tolerate in your diet.  If a food makes you sick - obviously don't eat it.  If you dump, then you do have to limit how much sugar you consume at one time.  There is nothing at all wrong with eating high-fat, calorie dense food as long as it fits in with your overall diet.  You can create an RNY friendly diet that allows rich foods at times.

I would much rather eat nicely cooked pasta with an alfredo sauce made from real cheese, balanced with salad and fresh vegetables than Cool Whip.  Cool Whip and other non-fat, reduced calorie or sugar-free products are highly processed "foods" that contain all sorts of chemicals and substances you may not want to put in your body.

Here is what is in Cool Whip:

Water, Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and Palm Kernel Oils), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Less than Two Percent of Sodium Caseinate (from Milk), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Xanthan and Guar Gums, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Beta Carotene (Color).

No thanks.  If I want whip cream, I'll just get some cream, sugar, a bowl and a whisk.  It takes just a couple of minutes to make.

Additional: Sugar Free Cool Whip looks even worse:

Water, Corn Syrup*, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Less Than 2% Of Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan And Guar Gums, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Sodium Polyphosphates, Acesulfame Potassium And Aspartame* (Sweeteners), Beta Carotene (Color). *Adds A Trivial Amount Of Sugar. **Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 6 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views