How much is too much--1/2 cup? 3 ounces? Help!

AnchorsAweigh
on 5/14/13 11:13 am

I'm four weeks out and will be getting the okay to eat 'regular' foods this week. My NUT advises I should be eating about 600-800 calories a day. I'm not--I'm currently around 300-500. Anyway, here's my question. How do I know the quantity of food to eat at one time? I understand the calories, but my instruction notebook doesn't really explain the actual quantity. For example, it states how much protein is in one ounce of chicken, but it doesn't state how many ounces I should eat at one time. If I want to eat soup, do I eat 1/2 cup? 1/4 cup? 1 cup at a time? Right now I am enjoying a little tuna salad on a slice of tomato with melted cheese. Is that too much food for one meal? I am absolutely terrified of stretching my pouch. Also, now that I will be starting a different diet, I don't know if I can have, oh, let's say a piece of chicken along with a vegetable at one meal. Is that too much? Is there a generic guideline--like all food together shouldn't be more than 1/2 cup, or 3 ounces, or anything? Sorry to ramble but I'm not sure how to ask this question so it makes sense.

Karens62
on 5/14/13 11:20 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I was told no more than 2 fluid ounces per meal for at least the first six months. So I got a whole bunch of 1 oz. medicine cups and measure my food. Every once in a while I'll weigh what I've measured out so I know how much protein I'm getting.

When you use a tiny ****tail plate and spread the food out after measuring, it looks like a lot!

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

poet_kelly
on 5/14/13 11:59 am - OH

Only two ounces for the first six months?  Wow.  That's a really small amount four or five months post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/14/13 12:01 pm - OH

How do you get in enough protein and calories eating so little?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Karens62
on 5/14/13 12:51 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I eat 2 fluid ounces of protein 4-5 times a day and have a shake as well. I average about 75-80 gms protein per day.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

robynrobyn36
on 5/14/13 11:30 am - NH
RNY on 02/25/13

I was told 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food per meal.   At the beginning my meals were all protein.  I'm almost 3 months post-op now and I can handle about 1/4 cup of meat plus 1/4 cup of veggies. 

poet_kelly
on 5/14/13 11:58 am - OH

Talk to your dietician.  She should be giving you these guidelines.

I was told to eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at four weeks out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 5/14/13 1:29 pm
First off call your surgeon and his NUT if you have one. Pouches are not Ll created equally (sizes of pouches made vary). Some surgeons do small others on the larger size and this WILL make a difference.

For instance immediately after surgery I was eating 1/2 at a time, at 2 months I was eating 1 oz and at 3 months 2 oz. I ate that amount for almost 9 months. A regular meal now is 3-4 oz protein and 1/3-1/2 cup of veggies.

It's possible you will eat too much without some type of guideline to eat since the full feeling isn't always recognized initially and the feeling isn't the same stuffed feeling before surgery.

Sorry rambling I'd be calling my surgeon tomorrow for answers.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

mzlaura
on 5/14/13 1:46 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

At 4 weeks out we were allowed 1/2 cup to 1 cup i believe. And 1/2 cup is 4 ounces. I weigh everything i eat or try to eyeball it.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics