I'm so nervous....

gracesmadonna
on 4/10/13 5:49 am - Hudson Falls, NY

Hello, my name is Theresa.  I just joined here today.  I have gastric bypass scheduled for May 22nd. They offered earlier but I figured I should have time off closer to when my kids are out for summer.  But, I am scared stiff.  I know a few people who did just fine, but the idea of the surgery in general is really scaring me.  Any tips to relax before my surgery?

ShadowHR
on 4/10/13 5:57 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

It is normal to be nervous before any surgeon.  Relax and think about the reasons you are doing the surgery.  There are a lot of people to provide support and encouragement online.  Also, do you have a local support group?  It helps to talks with people going through the same things.

i am post op day 6 and have been surprised how well things are going.

take care,

Surgery Weight 245

gracesmadonna
on 4/10/13 11:33 am - Hudson Falls, NY

Oh, thank you.  I just need to keep reminded myself of the benefits and how much better I will feel after.

gracesmadonna
on 4/10/13 11:33 am - Hudson Falls, NY

And here's to a speedy recovery for you ShadowHR

Kat1313
on 4/10/13 7:56 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Theresa, not to worry - I think everyone goes through those feelings of being scared.  I know I did.....and I'm a whole 3 days out - had surgery Monday AM, just got home this afternoon from the hospital.  The time will pass quickly and it'll be your turn before you know it.  The only thing I can suggest is to keep really busy - clean out closets, etc., all those little projects we keep meaning to get to. I was fortunate enough to get a date very quickly after I completed all my requirements, so didn't really have that much time to think it over.  I think that helped me, just not having time to think too much about it beforehand.

gracesmadonna
on 4/10/13 11:35 am - Hudson Falls, NY

Yes, I am kind of wishing i went with the end of April date they wanted to give me.  I am a single mom, so I thought I could have the summer with the kids away from work (6 weeks), but now I need to occupy the brain lol.

lumina99
on 4/10/13 12:18 pm - ME

Hi, and welcome! I was pretty nervous also. What really helps is the support groups. Ask your doctor for the support group schedules. There's usually one or 2 a month.Some of the people there are new and some are bypass patients who've been here, done that. They are such a help! A lot of the time they know more than the person running the group! I know it made me feel much better going to it. Hope this helps :)

Laura A.

Justcallmesuz
on 4/10/13 12:23 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

My surgery is May 8th and I am very nervous too. I think it's natural! Best of luck to you!!

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?