Mucinex D....can we take it?

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 3/27/13 10:00 pm
RNY on 09/17/12

Since spring has decided to show it's face here in Texas, I've had 2 ear infections within the last month.  Doc told me to take Mucinex D along with my antibiotic but it says extended release on the box.  Is it ok for me to take?

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

angeleigh
on 3/27/13 10:31 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

My surgeon told me to take that and Nasonex last time my allergies acted up. Now I take the Nasonex almost every night, zinc, and vit c, some days I take an antihistamine if needed.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/27/13 10:34 pm - OH

The Mucinex I have does not say extended release on it (but it is a couple of years old), so you might see if there are two versions available. We can still take extended release OTC meds... You just will not absorb all of it, so it may not be as effective.  Do NOT, however, double the dose without instructions from a physician.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kim S.
on 3/27/13 10:50 pm - Helena, AL

CVS has their own version of Mucinex- called Chest Congestion Relief........and you take it every 4 hours....(I'm on it now....) it is working much better than the Mucinex did (Mucinex was one every 12 hours, and it wore off in a few hours for me).

Oh, and CVS brand is MUCH cheaper.

CindyKae64
on 3/27/13 11:06 pm
RNY on 05/22/12

Yes, my surgeon's office told me that we can take most OTC cold/allergy meds, just read the label and make sure it doesn't contain NSAIDS.

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

Mary Catherine
on 3/28/13 12:23 am

While it is fine to take, I do remember the first time I took Mucinex after surgery getting very weak and dizzy.  Just like alcohol after surgery, sometimes medicines seem to hit really fast and hard on the altered digestive system.  

Miss Liss
on 3/28/13 5:02 am

Walgreens and Walmart have their brand of Mucinex that is not extended release.  It is immediate release, and it works great.  I was told not to take extended release.  Hope you feel better soon!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?