stretching my pouch

debbie A.
on 3/18/13 6:26 pm - inland empire, CA

Can anybody tell me if my new pouch can be stretched by drinking too much liquids, like a lot of chrystal Light? I have been drinking about 3 single serve packets a day plus 2 protien shakes. 

karenp8
on 3/18/13 8:22 pm - Brighton, IL

Liquids won't stretch your pouch. It is like a funnel and they basically go right through.

glad2balive
on 3/18/13 10:46 pm

Liquids pass within minutes. You cannot stretch your pouch with them. You might just be feeling full. Good luck!

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

Calla Lily
on 3/18/13 11:39 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

my surgeons plan calls for me to wait at least 30 minutes after drinking half a cup to eat, (and of course wait 30 min after eating to drink). I asked my dietitian why, if liquids flow right through (and I even saw with my own eyes on youtube how that works) but she said that my doctor says liquids can fill your pouch in the first 6 weeks to 6 months after rny due to swelling, so to stick with that rule for the first half a year and not exceed 1/2 a cup of liquid over a 30 min time. I would never recommend anyone go against what their plan is, but in my own personal experience, I did go against this, as I was able to drink more then 1/2 a cup over 30 min, and not have to wait after because i could feel that it was not held up in my pouch. But maybe for some people with excessive swelling, it can stretch? As this was a clear rule to follow set by my plan.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Larry Wassmann
on 3/19/13 12:05 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

As I understand it, if you drink too soon after eating you will liquefy what you eat and allow it to pass out of your pouch much faster and you will feel hunger faster. I was told that the longer you keep food in the pouch the better the use of what you ate will be to your body, but other here have said that so little nutrients are used in the pouch it makes little difference. But I believe that I would feel hunger faster if I drink right after eating. And if your surgeon or PCP says not too, why are we so wise as to not do as they say. We are paying for their advise aren’t we?

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

jschultes
on 3/19/13 12:58 am - ND

I have gotten the same advice, that if you drink within 30 minutes of eating, you'll flush the food out of your pouch and you'll be hungry sooner. I know with my little pouch I feel hungry a lot as it is so I try not to do it!

cajungirl
on 3/19/13 12:52 am

No it can't.  Picture a funnel and even get one and pour water in it.  Liquids go through at some pace of speed depending on thickness but nevertheless keep moving.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

debbie A.
on 3/19/13 1:02 am - inland empire, CA

Thanks for the replies. I feel much better knowing. Im not on solid food yet just full liquid and I feel full from drinking all the time. I was getting a little worried that maybe Im drinking too much or maybe to fast

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 303 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 304 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics