Struggling to eat 1.5 months out from rny

moonlightrunner
on 3/7/13 1:40 am

Since transitioning to "real food" eating is not going well at all.  Most days I struggle to eat...force myself...and get only 200-300  calories.  I am nauseated any time I eat, and vomit occasionally. I also have had diarrhea for over a week.  I tried to eliminate dairy (which really limits food choices) and it has lessened some. I am not convinced it is the problem. Now even protein shakes nauseate me.  Right now all this makes even the THOUGHT of eating nauseating. I have Reglan for nausea, but I hate to take  because makes the diahrrea worse.   My weight loss rate is very slow..I would assume because I am not taking enough in.  Is this normal?  I don't go back to see my surgeon until I am 3 months out (this all started AFTER my 1 month appointment).

Is this all normal?  I have been unable to attend a support group because there are none in the town where I live.

MichelleNC
on 3/7/13 2:01 am

Are you have more than 4-5 bowel movements a day? If so they told us in our seminar yesterday to go to the ER and call the dr on the way because with the little we are taking in we are getting it right out of our system and that is not good. She said we will be weak and dehydrated fast.

I would call your surgeon about this good luck!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

moonlightrunner
on 3/7/13 2:08 am
Thanks for your qick reply. I probably have about that many (4 or so). Dehydration has been an ongoing problem because of the nausea. I will give it another day. They say i can take immodium but im kind of afraid to in case i have a c diff infection.
artroxy blue
on 3/7/13 2:43 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I'd contact your surgeon's office ASAP. They may tell you to go to the ER if you're struggling with fluid intake. I wouldn't wait, IMO. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

karenp8
on 3/7/13 2:57 am - Brighton, IL

Please call your surgeon. We were told that vomiting is never normal. Most likely you are also dehydrated which wilwillwill make the nausea worse.

Jilly Bean
on 3/7/13 4:12 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I feel your pain.  Eating was a nightmare until I hit about the 3 month mark.  Call your surgeon or NUT.  They'll have some answers for you.  Hang in there, it will get better.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

thynnlynn
on 3/7/13 6:08 am - MI

Reglan is not for nausea. You need to call your surgeon.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Vdekker
on 3/7/13 7:19 am - Mt
RNY on 12/21/12

I have been having the very same problem and my Dr. is doing a EGD on the 18th.  He said he wants to look for a stricture, I had no eating issues early on, but boy are they bad now.  Foamies and vomiting almost every day.  Call the Dr. and see what they say.

Good Luck, I feel your pain.

moonlightrunner
on 3/7/13 6:39 pm
I wondered about that possibility. Glad u said something about the foam too. My nausea is better today...but it is early...andi have gone back to just liquids and very soft solids. Good luck to u and thanks!
Jenn D.
on 3/7/13 8:40 pm - CT
RNY on 01/29/13
last week I had a 6 day period where just looking at food made me sick. My team just said, don't eat if you aren't hungry and don't force myself to eat if it will just make me worse. So, I lived on water, a SF pop every now and then, and then BAM! 3 days ago I felt like eating, the nausea was gone and I am back on track.
I hope you find what's ailing you!
Good Luck!
Jenn

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views