More Pain

ericc11964
on 2/24/13 2:49 am - NY
I had my gall bladder and a second Peterson s hernia repaired on 01/18. I returned to work on 02/04. I think I may have re aggrevated the hernia or may be experiencing a new one. The pain now is on the left side, sudden and goes away with pressure or if I lie down. Currently the doctors have me wearing an abdominal binder. Any one have ideas what this new passion may be? And what should I do?
Findingme2013
on 2/24/13 3:29 am
RNY on 02/04/13

Maybe call your doctor??

ericc11964
on 2/24/13 3:37 am - NY
I did and this is their plan to wear the binder at work for a couple of weeks. That's it.
Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 2/24/13 3:39 am - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

I'm so sorry to hear of your experiences!  Can I ask what exactly is a Peterson's hernia and what causes them?  I hope you get relief soon!

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

ericc11964
on 2/24/13 9:31 pm - NY

I have unfortunately had 2 of these. One I knew the other not so much it was masked by the pain and issues of the gall bladder.

http://www.njattyblog.com/medical-malpractice/gastric-bypass-complication/

A small percentage of patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery will develop severe abdominal pain due to internal hernias. This condition is called a Petersen’s hernia and must be treated surgically on an emergency basis.

When patients lose a significant amount of weight, the fatty tissues in the abdomen decrease in size. In some patients, the position of the intestine can shift within the abdomen and become twisted and obstructed.

If you should develop abdominal pain you must seek medical attention immediately. Petersen’s hernia can be successfully treated and full recovery is to be expected. Time is of the essence however. If there is a delay in diagnosis and treatment beyond a few hours, there is the potential for loss of a significant portion of the small intestine and even death.

It is important that you be aware of this condition. If you develop abdominal pain, you must immediately seek medical attention and inform your physician that you have undergone gastric bypass surgery. You should also tell them that you have been informed about the potential for a Petersen’s hernia and wish to be examined by a surgeon on an emergency basis.

While the incidence of this condition is relatively low (less than 5% of patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery), it is a serious development that must be treated very quickly.

Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 2/25/13 2:18 am - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

Thanks for the info.  I sure hope I never experience that!  I'm sorry to hear that you've had more than your share.

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

Most Active
Recent Topics