15lbs to Lose Pre-Op RNY

Samantha Lightner
on 2/6/13 7:39 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Okay, let me start by saying... I'm a slacker. Ugh I started this whole journey back in September. At that point they told me I needed to lose 13lbs. I weighed 243lbs & needed to lose 13lbs to qualify for surgery. So in October I lost someone very special to me, my grandpa. Lets just say I haven't stopped grieving. I am an emotional/boredom eater. Definitely not a good combination considering my life has seemed to be an emotional roller coaster here lately, and being unemployed just goes along with the whole boredom thing.

Now here on February 6th I weigh 245lbs. I am so worried that by March I won't be down to the weight I need to be. I know that some of my weight is from my time of the month, because on my last appointment with my Nut I was 240lbs and I haven't been eating horribly, just not as good. 

I really know I need to drop this weight... It's the main thing I should be worrying about right now. No weight loss= No surgery. & this surgery means so much to me and I have worked so hard trying to battle this weightloss, it brings back memories of when I was 10 years old and trying to lose X amount of weight so I could get $ or a new wardrobe from my parents. Which never happened. 

Any words of encouragement would be amazing right now... I am currently using MyFitnessPal. & I love it but it seems I have gotten off track with that as well.. I need to start logging food again as it was working wonderfully and I lost 8lbs in 3 weeks doing that (Of course exercising, eating healthy too)

Thanks for reading everyone.. 

God Bless.

Carol M.
on 2/6/13 7:51 am - TX

Start a two week liquid protein diet now and you will lose that weight.  That is what I had to do 2 weeks before my RNY.  The main reason is to reduce the "fatty" liver.  It is very friable (SP), or easily torn and damaged during surgery.

I know a lot of doctors don't use that protocol.  But it is much safer for you, if they do.  And if yours doesn't. then just do it on your own.  I lost 14 lbs in the 2 weeks before my surgery.

poet_kelly
on 2/6/13 8:01 am - OH

Definitely time to get back on track.  Are you working with a registered dietician?  If so, they should be able to help you with a plan.  If not, you might want to find one.  Are you going to a WLS support group?  If not, that might help you, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/6/13 8:04 am

You can do this.

I recommend eating protein first. While it is true you won't yet have a small stomach to help you, you can cut out simple and/or starchy carbs and add protein and vegetables. Also, smaller, more frequent meals are helpful in keeping you less hungry. The more satisfied and less hungry you are, the less you are likely to overeat.

What to eat, you ask? Head on over to BariatricFoodie or TheWorldAccordingtoEggface for some new ideas. Eating doesn't have to be punitive because you are losing weight.

Are you moving your body? That's important too. Even if you are way out of shape, as I was, every little bit helps.

And kick those thoughts of this being like a childhood diet. It isn't. This is a sustained and sustainable new way of life.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Samantha Lightner
on 2/6/13 8:12 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful words. It means a lot. I know I need to get my butt in gear, but I guess I keep thinking I have more time and I definitely DON'T. I know that two weeks before surgery I'll be doing my liquid diet, but I have to have the pounds gone before I can even do that. My Nut is registered and she tries her best to give me a plan, I just need to kick myself in my behind and get going! And really need to stop feeling sorry for myself. That's a bad problem I have. Even though I often feel sorry for myself, my depression lately has been feeling sorry for others... So many crazy things have been happening in my life. But it's time to get in gear. I know if I can lose 8lbs in 3 weeks, I can lose 15lbs in 2 months, right guys? Okay, it starts today and I will definitely keep everyone updated. I hope you're all doing wonderful and I truly appreciate all of your kind words. I am so glad to have found this site where everyone can relate to what I have been going through my whole life and where no one seems to be judgmental. 

Scoobydoo061423
on 2/6/13 9:01 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

You have the same doc I did. I remember I started out at 243, and gain up to 260 after having my gallbaddler taken out. Then when I met with him again (3 days into the liquid diet) he said I owe him a pound. I weight 244 that day. When I was weigh in for surgery I was 242. I lost a lot of the liquid diet. I believe 12 or 13 pounds. Try adding a shake to replace a meal. That might help.

Reach for the moon, if you fail at least you will lay among the stars.

Samantha Lightner
on 2/6/13 2:53 pm
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Well, I am definitely going to do a liquid diet 2 weeks before my last appointment so that I can weigh in & get the numbers I want for surgery to approve me. My Nut said that she had to make sure I weigh exactly 230lbs before she'll submit any paper work. I go for my last appointment around the end of March so that gives me around 2 months give or take. I don't want to do a liquid diet for 2 months of course, But I completely understand what you mean. If you don't mind me asking what kind of insurance do you have? I have Buckeye Insurance & they require the 6 months evaluation, a bunch of different tests and a certain % of your weight to be lost by the end of the 6 months. I am just hoping that everything goes as planned, that all of my papers get turned in by my last appointment from my psych evaluation/sleep-test/cardiac clearance/Chest X-Ray/Blood Work/ MRI and of course that I am down to the weight I need to be... 

Scoobydoo061423
on 2/7/13 7:37 am - OH
RNY on 11/12/12 with

I have BCBS. I had to do the 6 month diet appts. I didn't have to lose any weight, but I had to be the same or weigh less then I did when I first started. After everything got smitted it only took 3 days to find out I was approved.

Reach for the moon, if you fail at least you will lay among the stars.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views