3 weeks out today... Eating too much?

AlyAbout2BaBride
on 2/3/13 11:49 pm
RNY on 01/14/13

I was able to start soft foods yesterday... So I made chicken salad.... I spoke with the nut. And she said to start with 1/4 of a cup (2oz) and I was fine... Ate it slowly but had no problems,  I didn't have a full or too full feeling either.    But I am sitting here reading people can eat just two tablespoons of food so could my pouch be too big?  Am I over thinking it since I am no a two week freeze with weightloss?   I need some advice 

Aly

Hollie313
on 2/3/13 11:51 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Your stomach nerves haven't healed yet.  You won't overeat if you keep measuring.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

AlyAbout2BaBride
on 2/3/13 11:56 pm
RNY on 01/14/13

So do you think 1/4 of a cup is ok or too much?    I can eat it now but possibly when my nerves heal I may end up not being able to eat all that?

Aly

Hollie313
on 2/4/13 12:30 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

That should be fine.  I think I was eating 2-3 oz at a time at that point.  I'm just shy of 9 months and I'm eating 1/2 - 3/4 cup of food per sitting.  Of course, the amount all depends on what food it is.  Example:  I can eat more cottage cheese than I can beef or chicken. 

You should be able to stick with that amount for awhile.  If you ever have concerns, do like you did and ask your NUT.  And....there's always us, here.  =)

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

noftessa0401
on 2/4/13 12:44 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

I think 1/4 is just fine.  2 ounces (by volume) is 1/4 cup, so you are right on track, at least as far as my surgeon would be concerned.  I can eat 1/4 cup of yogurt fine, but can only eat about 1/2 that of denser food.  You won't get a full feeling yet because your nerves have been cut.  But, I think you are doing just fine.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

Adrianne_Dawn
on 2/4/13 2:08 am, edited 2/4/13 2:09 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12

I'll be honest I've never measured my food. In the beginning I'd take 3-5 bites of food and sometimes just feel normal but other times I'd eat maybe quarter -1/2 cup of food and have the same feeling. 

Trust me you will know if you over eat - you will be nauseated, your stomach may be upset, you'll feel REALLY uncomfortable (think of when you used to overeat to much on a holiday and x it by 2, and or you might have to throw up.  If you don't feel this then you are ok.

I naturally know how much I can eat and be full, I think my nutritionist is kind of amazed but I have had the uncomfortable feeling and really upset stomach so I now know my limit.

Example: Early out I'd eat 1 cheese stick and be full, now 8 months out I can eat 2 cheese sticks and be full.  If I tried to eat anything beyond those two cheese sticks I wouldn't be feeling good though. 

Sometimes I can eat like Half a sandwhich and sometimes i can only eat a quarter of a sandwhich. 

Amanda M.
on 2/4/13 2:24 am
RNY on 01/18/13
No offense, but this is terrible advice to give to a new pre op.

Aly, always measure your food! Your nerves in your pouch cannot tell you how much to eat right now. Eating until you think you are done is asking for a complication. I dont care if the above poster had no complications....we are supposed to be developing good life style changes and eating until you potentially get sick is stupidity.

Follow your plan. When I get moved up to soft foods in a couple weeks, I will get about 1/4 cup. You are doing great! Just keep measuring!

Careecans9801
on 2/4/13 2:40 am - cohocton, NY

I am also 3 weeks post op today! I am eating about 1/4 cup per meal. This is what my NUT told me to eat. I am able to eat about 1/2 cup of yogurt. I understand you dont get the full feeling because neither do I, but I also never feel hungry. Just keep following the NUT's directions and you will do just fine!!

Surgery Date 1/14/13

Neen L.
on 2/4/13 2:48 am - Arlington, VA

You're doing just fine. The weight loss stall is perfectly normal as your body adjusts to this new lifestyle and continues to heal following an extensive operation.

Looking back at my journals, that's about what I was eating at the same stage. Some days a bite or two less, but the amount honestly depended a lot on the kind of food. You'll find that you tolerate or can finish your little portion of some foods more easily than others.

Stay true to your plan, get lots of water in, and move as much as is comfortable for you. You can do it!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

chickiedoo123
on 2/4/13 3:26 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Don't worry you are doing great - your post is word for word what I posted a few months ago......I am 5 months out now from RNY.  Just do what your surgeon says....if they say 1/4 cup food then eat that.  I got the OK to eat 3/4 to 1 cup of food a few months ago and I do just fine with that.  Just very recently I have had a 'full feeling' - your nerves have been cut it takes a while to get all the feeling back.  Your full cues may be different now.  Always always measure your food - it is the best way to stay accountable and make sure that your tummy is happy. I have had a couple of stalls in my journey and have freaked out thinking I was doing something wrong......sometimes you lose quick and sometimes you lose fast.  I always tell myself - it took me YEARS to get to the point of gaining all of my weight - I can't expect it to come off overnight.  Our bodies need time to adjust - I have learned that even though the scale is not moving my body is shifting and losing inches so pay attention to how your clothes fit.  Sit back and enjoy the journey :-)

Ellie                
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 228 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 20 views