Has Anyone Made Chili Using TVP "Meatless Burger"?

thynnlynn
on 2/2/13 3:55 am - MI

I am seeing where some are having issues with ground meat and was wondering if any of you, particularly the vegetarians have made chili using this and was it successful.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

poet_kelly
on 2/2/13 3:59 am - OH

I make chili using Morningstar Farms soy crumbles, which is similar to ground beef only it's really made from soy.  I've served it to people without telling them it wasn't real meat and they didn't even realize it!

Here's the recipe I use:

Traditional Style Chili

2 bags Morningstar Farms soy crumbles
one onion, diced
two jalapeno peppers, diced fine
two cans veggie broth
one can diced tomatoes
one tablespoon minced garlic
chili powder to taste (I use about two tablespoons)

In a big pot, sauté the garlic and onion in a little olive oil until slightly soft.  Add the soy crumbles and diced jalapeno peppers and cook for a couple minutes.  Add the broth, diced tomatoes and chili powder.  Bring to a boil, stir well, then reduce heat and simmer about 40 minutes.  Serve it with shredded cheese on top if you like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

maryottawa
on 2/2/13 4:04 am - Canada

I was cooking for vegan people. I cooked the same recipe that is made with meat Chiili, only added more vegetables as well cut up tiny carrots, celery, and sometimes corn and add variety of beans, black, kidney, lima beans and chickpeas. I still remember that there was a tofu lover him add over his chilli in little square and fat-free sour cream. enjoy.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 2/2/13 8:17 am
RNY on 01/10/12

You could just use beans and skip the meat/"meat" altogether. When we make chili we make one pot with beans and no meat for the vegans, one with meat and no beans, and those who like both can mix them together. I don't do well with ground beef, so I'll do the beans and no meat kind even though I'm not a vegan. I'll add cheese to mine, and maybe some Greek yogurt on top. Should be plenty of protein that way. (We're doing chili for the Super Bowl.)

Barb in Baltimore

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Most Active
Recent Topics