Major plateau...4 months post op HELP!

Sarah C.
on 1/31/13 8:31 pm - AR
RNY on 09/05/12

7 pounds.  7 pounds is all I lost the entire month of January, my 4th month post op.  I started at the gym and have been doing the elliptical at least 30 minutes with increased varied and resistance 3 or 4 days a week (except 10+ hour work days and the 10 day stent i had following a tooth extraction and could not do vigorous exercise).  I even tried a spin class.  It may not be a perfect regimen, but it's better than I was doing the three months prior which was virtually nothing.  I went 17 days without losing anything.  I've tried increasing my foods, choosing different foods, decreasing my foods.  I'm stuck and I'm frustrated and I need direction.  I've even measured to see if my body was just changing shape and if it has, it has been minimal. 

I know plateaus are normal, but I don't know if this length of plateau is abnormal nor do I know what to do to break it.  And at what point is it "too late" to contact your nutritionist for guidance?  I have a little over a month until my 6 month check up and right now I feel like a complete and utter failure.  I don't want them to be disappointed in  me when i go because my weight just isn't coming off. 

Guidance, please?

Vivian Prouty
on 1/31/13 8:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hi Sarah,

Usually when you hit a plateau your body is shedding inches and lot pounds.    Are you or have you taken your body's measurements.?    Are your clothes fitting differently?   I bet that they are.    If you are making wise food choices, waiting your 30 minutes before and after meals to drink fluids and exercising ( I know your doing this )....then don't get discouraged.   Your body will eventually start dropping the weight again.   Plateau's are VERY frustrating.    Hang in there and don't let it discourage you.   I'm sure this won't be your last one.   Oh BTW....I've heard of them lasting 6 weeks are longer.   Hopefully your's won't last long.   Keep up the great work...any weight loss is better than none at all.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

ctinnell
on 1/31/13 9:05 pm, edited 1/31/13 9:06 pm - TX

7 pounds in one month! That is amazing! That is way better than I was doing at 4 months. Around 4 months, I slowed down to about a pound a week. I am 6 months now and have lost a total of 77 pounds. Stop weighing yourself. Period! Weigh only when you go to the doctor. Follow the plan. Do your exercise. It will come off. Hang in there. Don't be discouraged. You are doing GREAT!!!

Dee.spunk
on 1/31/13 9:35 pm - Sacramento, CA
Everyone loses at different paces. I only lost 6 lbs my fourth month, so you've actually lost more than I did at 4 months. Hang in there. You will get there! Just think of those times when your not losing that your body is getting time to readjust.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

cajungirl
on 1/31/13 10:55 pm

Breathe and stay off the scale a few weeks.  Slow periods happen, if you're following the rules you are doing great.  Looking at your ticker in your signature you've lost more than 1/2 the weight you need to lose in 4 months.  If you continue to lose 7 lbs on average per month you'll be at your goal weight at 10 months out.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

scarlettbegonias
on 2/1/13 8:59 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I. Just about 4 months and haven't lost anything in over 3 weeks- it's doing my head in!

at this point I would be very very happy with any loss.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Most Active
Recent Topics