Vitamin D Question

missmomof4
on 2/1/13 10:32 am
RNY on 09/10/12

I know this has been discussed before, but I just had labs done and my Vitamin D was 35. I currently take 4000 units every day of D3. Would anyone mind telling me what they take that keeps their Vit D at a good level? Thanks in advance!

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
poet_kelly
on 2/1/13 10:45 am - OH

I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week.

I've talked to lots of post ops about their labs.  I've known two that could maintain a level of 80 (what it should be) on 5,000 IU a day.  Everyone else I've ever talked to has needed at least 10,000 IU a day, and many like me need more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

missmomof4
on 2/1/13 10:48 am
RNY on 09/10/12

Thanks Kelly!  My Vitamin D has been low for a very long time, even way before surgery. My bariatric team has never said a word about it, but my pcp is the one who told me to start taking the Vitamin D3. She said to take 2000 a day, I didn't think it would be enough, so I doubled it. Obviously that wasn't working either. I will definitely be upping my dosage right away!

poet_kelly
on 2/1/13 10:51 am - OH

Docs often freak out if you tell them you are taking big doses.  But like I said, I don't know anyone post op that can maintain a good level on less than 5,000 a day.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

apurdie
on 2/1/13 12:19 pm - CA

Kelly, one question and one comment.  What happens if you take too much D3?  Comment is about dumping.  It has gotten better over the last 10 weeks, but still dump always on sugar alcohols.  If I have had too much sugar, I can seemingly interrupt  a severe episode with Zofran.  Thank you. allison

poet_kelly
on 2/1/13 12:25 pm - OH

If you take too much D3, you can develop vitamin D toxicity.

Symptoms include nausea and vomiting, weakness, confusion, and heart arrhythmias.

According to the vitamin D Council, ALL published cases of vitamin D toxicity have involved taking more than 40,000 IU D3 daily (and I'm assuming these were people that had not had WLS, so there was no malabsorption, but I don't know that for sure).  The Vitamin D Council also says that symptoms of toxicity do not appear until vitamin D levels reach 200 or above - sometimes significantly above.

Dee.spunk
on 2/1/13 12:12 pm - Sacramento, CA
I believe I take 4,000 too and mine was at 75 last time. I need to add more.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

alaskasusan
on 2/1/13 12:27 pm, edited 2/1/13 12:27 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I live in a locale that gets little sunshine for many months - even if it's clear, in the winter it's likely to be dark!  Most Alaskans need extra Vit D to get close to 75-80.  I started taking 50,000 twice a week and I can FEEL the difference it makes!  I am not sure what happens if you get too much but I'd be hard-pressed to get too much at my current dose.  It's one of the things I'll be watching after surgery.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/1/13 12:50 pm - OH

I was taking 50,000 units 3x per week, but my Vit D level was too high (134), so I recently decreased it to twice per week.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BTB2013
on 2/1/13 1:51 pm

I was prescribed one every week. It's over 10k mg and is a liquid capsule.... I have been Vit D deficient for awhile now and I haven't even gotten my RnY yet.... 3 wks to go......

BTB2013......

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 173 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 266 views