Mini Fridge?!

Samantha Lightner
on 1/30/13 8:33 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Okay so only have 2/6 months left for my 6 month evaluation.

I know being approved is a 50/50 thing. But I want to start preparing in case I am improved!

I have posted many things on here, and you're all amazing at giving advice and just being 100% honest with me!

Soooo, my question is have any of you gotten a mini fridge after surgery?! 

I live with a lot of family and chances are if I buy "healthy" food, even if there is junk food in the cabinets it always seems to get ate.

I don't tell anyone not to eat it, just thinking I'm mean. 

So do you guys think it'd be a good idea? 

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 8:40 am - OH

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Are you saying if you buy healthy food and keep it in the regular fridge your family will eat it but you think they won't eat it if it's in a mini fridge?  If that's the case, then sure, get one.  But what will keep them out of the mini fridge?  Would it work better to just buy enough healthy food for everyone?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/13 8:44 am

I'm confused too about the fridge, and why is surgery approval 50/50?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Megan K.
on 1/30/13 8:49 am
RNY on 02/18/13

I am the pre-op side of the house, but I do use a mini fridge.  I buy health food for the whole family along with a few savory snacks and it does/did seem that those items I'd plan for my bag lunches or what not would disappear before I'd get to them.  It also keeps me in track making sure I have everything I need too. (I "lose"things in the big fridge some times too).  Then my kids don't have to worry about eating the last of whatever I have planned for my lunches. 

A side note I didn't have to buy the mini fridge either, my son was going to throw it out when he moved out of the dorms...so I didn't go out and buy it for that purpose.

thynnlynn
on 1/30/13 9:07 am - MI

I understand what you are saying and it would probably be a good idea but would not you require a lock for it?  It is just my husband and I at home and you would think these things would not be a problem, but there are certain things I just do not buy anymore because unless I get the first serving of whatever it is, I will never see it again as he will eat until it is gone.  I  know it is silly but that is the way it is.  I decided while back that if he wanted those things, he could buy them himself and I would leave them alone.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Samantha Lightner
on 1/30/13 9:11 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Sorry if I confused you guys... 

When I went to my last nutritionist appointment she told me that my insurance is a harder one to get approved for, so she said I pretty much had a 50/50 chance so she said I could start taking the steps as if I were already approved. 

As far as the fridge thing goes, buying healthy for the whole family isn't realistic with my family. 

But if I were to buy a mini fridge it would be put in my office, so that technically they wouldn't have any access to... not that I need to hide it or anything but if its right there in the main fridge, they eat it... 

hope that made more sense. Pretty much what I was asking is do any of you have a mini fridge and does it seem to be easier for you?

Thanks for all of your responses.

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 9:16 am - OH

Do you meet your insurance policy's criteria for WLS?  If so, it's not a 50/50 chance.  It's a 100% chance.  Insurance companies must abide by their own policies.  If you don't meet their criteria, your chances of approval are next to nothing.  But if you do meet the criteria, they legally have to cover the surgery.  It's not like it's optional and they can choose to pay for it or not.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Samantha Lightner
on 1/30/13 9:56 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

My nutritionist told me that sometimes they'll make you take more tests or silly things like that.. As far as I know I meet all of the criteria's... I'm so uninformed when it comes to this kind of stuff... I am kind of like an illiterate when it comes to anything gastric bypass. I try to ask as many questions as possible on my appointments... I asked my nutritionist what the odds are of me getting denied and she hesitated and said that my insurance company denies a lot... So of course I left my appointment with a sad face... I always come here to read others stories.. guess I'll just cross my fingers... lol. 

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 10:00 am - OH

Well, if they deny you and you meet the criteria, you just appeal and they will end up paying for it.  Your insurance policy is like a legal contract.  They cannot just decide not to cover something if you meet their criteria.  I don't think they can just randomly decide to require more tests, either.  Now, if they require you to have an EKG (which I think is usually required by surgeons, not by insurance, but anyway...), if they require that and the results are questionable, then they can require further testing to make sure your heart is OK and surgery is not too risky for you.  But usually a surgeon would require further testing in that case anyway, not just the insurance company.  But I don't think they can just decide to require additional tests for no reason.

If they deny people a lot, it may be because their criteria is particularly strict.  It could possibly also be that they deny patients of a particular surgeon often because that surgeon's staff doesn't always send them all the required information or something like that.  But if you meet the criteria, they will pay for it.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/13 9:17 am

Ah, okay, got it. No, I just put my stuff in the regular fridge, but my family wouldn't touch some of my food with a 10-foot pole. I do buy a lot of healthy options, and a limited amount of crap food for them.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views