HELP!!!!!

ericc11964
on 12/31/12 9:42 am - NY

I need some advice. Within the last two weeks I've been experiencing a great deal of right abdominal pain that goes not the back. Along with it there has been nausea and vomiting. The pain comes on later n the day usually shortly after eating. The pain has gotten worse and unbearable. I was at the bariatric center today and they think its one of two things. They are treating me for ulcers right now just in case and if the issues continue or get worse within 48 hours to notify hem and they will most likely have oto do an exploratory procedure for a gallbladder issue.  What do you think or what have you been through like this?

poet_kelly
on 12/31/12 9:46 am - OH

My guess would be gall bladder.  Do you notice if fatty foods make it worse?

Why don't they order an ultrasound to look for gall stones?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ericc11964
on 12/31/12 10:47 am - NY

It seems that it's a almost anything that causes the pain. At times it just hurts to eat or drink. They are treating for ulce know because back in May I had a Petersons hernia and they found an ulcer then.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/31/12 9:58 am - OH

Yes, it sounds like gallbladder to me too. I have never heard of them doing exploratory surgery to see if you have gallstones since it's so easily seen with ultrasound.  I personally would not allow them to do surgery without having an ultrasound or CT scan first, because every surgery creates scar tissue whi*****reases the chances of intestinal twisting, kinking, or obstruction (which we are already more prone to because if the RNY).

I developed pancreatitis because of a stone blocking the duct, so I was in the hospital for five days eating and drinking nothing at all, and once the pancreas calmed down they removed my gallbladder. Pancreatitis, the pain is severe and both the pain and nausea are pretty constant rather than being related to eating.

i certainly hope you feel better soon.  Even if you need your gallbladder removed, at least it is a simple surgery and easy to recover from.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ericc11964
on 12/31/12 10:52 am - NY

I don't plan on letting them do just an exploratory without having an ultrasound or CT.  Tying he ulcer treatment first because in May they were repairing a Petersons hernia and they found an ulcer. Currently taking protonix twice daily and carafate four times a day. If no improvements or condition getting worse that's when they will look at the gallbladder.

Zeigled
on 12/31/12 11:08 am - Parkton, MD

One other thought is appendix.....still have yours?  Is it lower right side?

HW 357 SW 341   

RebeccaElise
on 12/31/12 3:40 pm - Quincy, MA

Appendix don't usually have pain related to eating, but stranger things have happened. Pain from your appendix would be lower down, on the right, a little below tip of the right pelvic bone. Using your left hand, make a triangle with the end of your thumb on the point of the pelvic bone and fingers pointed downward at and angle, toward the the crease at the hip joint/top of the thigh. Using the other hand, press around firmly into the abdomen in the triangle area you've created between your left hand and pelvic bone. There would likely only be pain when the pressure from the right hand is released. This is called "rebound pain" and is a tell-tale marker of appendix issues.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Amanda M.
on 12/31/12 4:32 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
To me it definitely sounds like gall bladder problems. Towards the end of my time with that worthless bugger, EVERYTHING caused pain.

I would suggest requesting a gall bladder scan anyway. I am guessing you are a post op? To my understanding, almost all post ops end up having it removed if it hadnt already been. I went to the ER and they set up an appointment for a week later to do an ultrasound. I ended up back in the ER 2 nights after and had to under go emergency surgery to remove it. So putting off a potential gall bladder problem isnt the best scenario, even if being treated for possible ulcers. An ultrasound of your gall bladder will not do any damage, but could find answers. Sooner the better in my opinion.

Hope you get answers and feel better soon.

ericc11964
on 12/31/12 7:52 pm - NY

I am 1 year and 5 months post op. they medicine they gave me is suppose to work quick in fighting an ulcer. Pain was present yesterday but not as severe. However I didn't really have much to eat or drink other than a couple of Greek yogurts. I most likely will ask them to check the gall bladder. Better take care of now rather than later.  Pain has been bad in the past and not any fun.

thynnlynn
on 1/1/13 1:56 am - MI

Sounds like gallbladder issues.  Many, many years ago, we were at Cedar Point in Ohio with a carload of kids and I got very sick, passed out and quit breathing but was not in pain.  They got me going again and I spent the day in a wheelchair but kept passing out.  All of a sudden it felt like someone stabbed me in the back all the way through with a burning sword.  I was ambulanced to the hospital and it turned out that my gallbladder was ready to burst.  No stones, just a horrible infection.  They told me I would not make it back to Michigan alive and I spent 9 days in the hospital there.  This was before they ever did it laparascopically and I do not think I would have been a candidate with such infection, but at least I made it out alive.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
Recent Topics