Dill Pickles

pjw19_65
on 12/27/12 9:25 am

I've been craving dill pickles.  Can I have dill pickles and if so, when is a good time to introduce them into my diet?

BezoarGirl
on 12/27/12 9:28 am - WA

When you start to eat more solid food, but you also have to check the sugar content.  I make my own pickles and use a very small amount and I did not have any problems after 3 mo.

I have heard many people crave pickles after surgery also.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

DebsGiz
on 12/27/12 10:15 am - FL

I had to smile when I read your post because, pre-op, I was never much into pickles.  I might eat them in some foods or put on hamburgers, but otherwise I never really thought much about pickles.

Post-op, I love pickles.  I still don't eat a whole lot of them, but if there is a pickle brought to me on a plate with a sandwich, I'll leave the sandwich and eat to pickle.  LoL

artroxy blue
on 12/27/12 9:29 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

You're probably craving the saltiness. I was a salt ***** the first couple of months out. 

When did you have surgery? Are pickles listed on your plan anywhere? My guess would be about three months out or longer, depending on when you can add crunchy veggies back in, such as carrots, cucumbers, and the like. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/27/12 9:40 am

I had dill pickles about 4 months out. The only drawback, to me, is that there really isn't any nutrition and they do take up valuable stomach space that I could be using for protein. But I love them and eat a couple of baby dills once in awhile. So salty and crunchy, yum.

If you are to the raw veggie stage you can probably tolerate the dill pickles just fine.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 12/27/12 10:51 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

u can try a bit of the juice maybe, or blend it, I use dill relish, when was your surgery?

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Mal
on 12/27/12 11:19 am

I also had this craving post-op and had a friend who had rny that did too.  I would wait until you are cleared to eat raw veggies and take it slow.  No reason you can't have a pickle if you tolerate cucumbers.

Happy crunching!

M'Lane

ktattwu
on 12/27/12 9:22 pm - Vancouver, WA
RNY on 11/07/12

I have always been a big pickle fan and started enjoying them just a few weeks after surgery.  In the beginning I would just suck the juice out but it was wonderful.  Now at seven weeks out I will eat them but cannot make it through an entire large pickle. 

I will warn you to be careful.  The juice can make you feel a little queezy if you take in the slightest bit too much.

new4me
on 12/27/12 9:42 pm
RNY on 12/13/12

I'm so glad you asked this question because I've been craving pickles also.  I'm only two weeks out so I wouldn't dare to have them now but I thought it was interesting that I craved them because I was not a big fan of them pre-op.  Thanks for asking this question. 

HW: 257 ConsW: 248 SW: 237 CurrW: 165.2 GW: 150 (then we'll see how I feel)

Without struggle, there is no progress - Fredrick Douglas

SoCaPinkLady
on 12/27/12 10:16 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I smiled when I read this question. Yesterday I had a very busy day at work. I was working Guest Control and I was talking to a family and the little girl was eating one of those Big Pickles and I could smell it and I wanted to have a bite of it so badly right then and there!!!!

Lori                               

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 1 replies · 10 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views