Devastated!!!!!

thynnlynn
on 12/26/12 3:25 pm - MI

We drove 3 hours to my pre-op testing and I went to the nutrition class and did all the x-rays only to find out that my thyroid test was too far off and they cancelled my 1/4 surgery!!!   I have an old, blind, deaf dog who has been changing my sleep hours all around and I have missed some of my thyroid doses.  They said it was 78 and it has to be under 20 before they will reschedule me and I will have to do the entire PAT thing over again.

They suggested I call my PCP and see if I can have my already high dosage upped for a little and have it checked in a month and if it is under 20, they will reschedule me whevever.  I am no longer a January date and have no idea how long it will take for it to build up in my system.  The one nurse was thinking even up to 3 MONTHS!!!!!

This has really hit me hard as I was so very prepared for this and now it has to start all over again.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

wmamey
on 12/26/12 3:35 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
What test is it that they are looking at? Those numbers are not familiar to me in T3, T4, or TSH testing. Also once a dosage changes takes place or you commit to taking your medication on an empty stomach with a full glass of water - it takes 6 weeks to see a change in labwork. Set an alarm to take your medication, no food an hour before or an hour after taking it. Do NOT take any other medications or supplements with it or within the hour before/after.
Hope that helps!!
Good luck!

saralynne65
on 12/26/12 4:26 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

I know you are so disappointed but may I say what a good doggie mommy you are! I love my dogs to bits and have been where you are with an elderly dog-it is a bittersweet time.

Fear not, just do as the previous poster said and be sure to take your meds at the exact same time every day-even set an egg timer so you don't forget if things get hectic caring for your fur baby. Three months will pass in the blink of an eye!

My surgery date is 1/23 and I kinda wish I had more time to process it all. It seems the last two months have just flown by. Since you'll have some time maybe you could go consult with your endocrinologist about this and tell him it is stalling your surgery.

I really think if you make sure no matter what you take it same time every day with a full glass of water your levels will straighten out. Keep us posted here. Big Hugs!

Saralynne

Hollie313
on 12/26/12 7:08 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

I'm SO sorry this happened.  Keep at it and do what everyone else is suggesting.  ((hugs))

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Bcast4
on 12/26/12 7:31 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. I know it takes some time to get psyched up for the surgery. I am also a revision from band to RNY. I'm so glad I made the decision too. Headed to St. Louis today to get my staples out. Will send good thoughts your way in hopes that your level corrects ASAP and that you re back on the books soon. 

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/12 9:31 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. But you have to learn to put yourself first. This is an important lesson to learn, especially with RNY. If you miss your vitamins in the same way, it can cause permanent damage.

Move on from here. It's all you can do.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kat Kat
on 12/26/12 10:45 pm - AZ

I'm sure this is disappointing, but this might actually have been a very good thing for you as far as learning experiences go. Your body doesn't care what type of crisis you experience, if you don't take care of it, it will fall apart. After your RNY, you MUST take many pills a day, and if you are unable to do that for any reason, the consequences can be serious. Example: Low B-12 can cause permanent, and irreversible neurological damage. If you messed up, you have to own it, and can't go blaming the dog, ya know?  I say count your blessings, and not only work on getting your levels back up, but make a plan to be able to always take your meds on time, no matter what.

Kat

Silverbelle69
on 12/26/12 11:00 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

Once when mine was bad I took about a week of Cytomel.   It is normally for thyroid cancer patients...it brought my readings back to normal in no time

thynnlynn
on 12/26/12 11:43 pm - MI

Thanks for the sympathy.  I just looked at my copy of my lab work and the only thing flagged was TSH.  Mine was 73.96 and thy would like it 0.34-5.60 (but the doc said under 20.00 would be okay).  I will faithfully take my meds.  I am now taking 250 mcgs daily and they said to call the doc and see if I can up it to 300 mcgs for a bit till it normalizes. 

How soon do you think I should have to wait for it to get there without wasting time on another lousy blood draw?

What is so bad is that as soon as I have this and heal for about 8 weeks, I have to go in for a major hip revision which will have a long recover time and I wanted to be able to get around well, as out music festivals start in June.  I need the magic thyroid fairy to come and help me!

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

thynnlynn
on 12/27/12 3:06 am - MI

I just talked to my doc's nurse and he does not feel it should be increased because of my heart issues.  She said if I faithfully follow my med plan, that she thought about a month would do it.  I hope so and hope they will have a cancellation date for me.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 347 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 307 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 364 views
Recent Topics