Time off??

SuzaQue
on 12/26/12 1:03 pm - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I am asking again.  How much time did you take off work and what type of work do you do?  Was your procedure open or laparoscopic?   Did you take more time off because of complications, pain or just because you had sick leave?

I have a sit down job and no sick leave.  I don't work, I don't get paid.  At this time I am as healthy as can be expected for being obese so I am hoping to return to work quickly.

Please let me know how you did it

Thanks

Susie

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/12 1:24 pm - Cicero, IN

You will need to do what you think is best for you. Only you know what your body feels like it can handle and only you know what your job will allow you to do as far as taking a day off here and there as you need it. If you can do without working until you feel 100% then do it. Don't ru**** and risk a relapse. Your health and recovery are important. Take care of YOU!

Sara L.
on 12/26/12 1:41 pm

I have a desk job; I took the full two weeks that my surgeon recommended. To be honest, since school had just let out for the summer, I'd have been better off to go back to work after one week! It would have been more restful than chasing my then 4-year-old twins!

Kaoz789
on 12/26/12 1:42 pm

I took 4 weeks. And 4 more weeks part time.  I have a sit down, high stress job. 13 hour shifts, 3 days a week.  With a 1 hour commute.  I was just too tired to do a full day. Maybe if it had been 6-8 hour days, I would have been okay.  

I had problems with energy and it took me months to get through a normal shift without having to take a nap for lunch.

MrsLitch
on 12/26/12 2:50 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

my doctor said to go back at 1 week and they would NOT give letters for longer than 3 weeks. I didn't have a lot of time left because of all the appts and tests etc leading up to the surgery so I went back at one week to my M-F job. I had laparscopic and I work mostly at my desk with some of my work taking me into the field and a small amount of my job is strenuous. When I went back I stuck to desk duty for a week and then starting slowly going back into the field the next week and photographed a 12 hour wedding at 12 days post op(my weekend job).

What I would do differently? I'd have taken 2 weeks off and not photographed the wedding at 12 days and hired one of my back ups to do it.

I did take naps most days when I got home even though it was desk work.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Lori P.
on 12/26/12 8:04 pm - Kenosha, WI

I had 8 days off because my boss at that time would not approve a proper sick leave (totally illegal...but I feared for my job).  I had the lap RNY.  I am a nurse manager working on a maternity floor (very little lifting...lots of walking).  

It sucked...I was in pain and exhausted for about 3 months.  I had difficulty getting food & fluids in.  2-4 weeks would have been better.  However, I lived through it  :) 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Joyceebaby
on 12/26/12 8:56 pm
RNY on 11/29/12

I had open RNY and took 6 weeks.  Glad I did, because he found a hernia and had to remove a seroma. So, I'm not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds for 6 weeks!  

I am a Medical Assistant (similar to a LPN - nurse).  As such, I wouldn't be released to work again until the 10 pound restriction is lifted.

IF I had a sedentary job, I would have felt up to going back after 3 weeks.  Like you, if I don't work, I don't get paid.

JamieM269
on 12/26/12 10:05 pm - MI

I had Lap RNY on 12/12/12 at 2 weeks out now I feel really good.  I work a desk job, but very high stress and  I am taking 5 weeks off, but that being said I do get paid for my time off.  Everyone recovers at a different pace, my suggestion is not to ask for added stress.  Take your time follow your plan and go back when you fell like your ready!  Good Luck!

Jewelsstevens
on 12/27/12 12:22 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Everyone is different. Having said that, I was as healthy as an obese person can be and this is what worked for me. I could have gone back to work after 1 week off. I would have gotten paid for the full 3 weeks max that my doc would allow. My boss called and made me take 2 full weeks since I would be getting paid. She is a worry wart... he he

The only issue I really would have had with coming back after 1 week is that it was uncomfortable to sit upright in a desk chair. It was not painful, per se. It was just very uncomfortable around my stomach/ribcage area.

I had a laproscopic RNY with zero complications. I have a desk job.

lala90502
on 12/29/12 7:02 am - PA

Hi,

I asked the same question before I had my surgery. I had it last Friday the 21st and honestly I could have went back to work with in that week. I just happen to be on vacation. It was a little painful coming home but that wore off pretty quick and was just sore but manageable. I have a desk job. I know everyone is different though.

Good Luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views