Swelling ?

laurie91566
on 12/23/12 6:16 pm - OH

PLEASE HELP !!  I am 5 days Post-op, when does the swelling go down ? My stomach looks deformed...I look like I am carrying twins. I seem okay with pain until I have to stand up, sit down or cough, then OUCH..

I am trying to get my liquids in and work on protein, but I am having a very hard time with this...But I keep sipping !

HeyFrankie
on 12/23/12 6:53 pm - Canada

I am 6 days post op. If i don't move, I too am ok... but any movement is so very painful. Oxy sometimes helps and others does not. I am also constipated!

SO.... you are not alone... does not help much! I have been told to keep walking walking... which hurts hurts.. but I am doing it doing it.. sipping like crazy and trying to get all my supps and meds in... good thing I also have insomnia... more time to get all the sipping protein and meds into me!!

Stay strong... from what I read.. it DOES pass....

donna

Healthyme228
on 12/23/12 7:16 pm

Yes keep sipping! I am 9 weeks post-op and the swelling will eventually go down........I thought my stomach looked deformed also after surgery with a mild hernia repair. Now my stomach looks just fine. Everybody body is different but trust me the swelling will go down and the pain will get better. Take baby steps, moving around will help your recovery! Congratulations on your new journey!

Dee.spunk
on 12/23/12 11:40 pm - Sacramento, CA
What we were told to do was walk, walk, walk. It helps you heal faster and gets rid of all that extra gas. You don't have to walk miles, I would just walk around my house, or to the mail box and back. Just as long as you move some.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Bratlyn98
on 12/24/12 12:09 am - VA
RNY on 12/19/12
I am also 5 days post op and look like I had just had a baby! I accidentally ate too fast last night! Word to wise.... DO NOT DO THAT! I was miserable last night! Good luck and know you are not on this journey alone!!
Saorenee
on 12/24/12 4:37 am

I am five days out also, my stomach is going down good...but when I was drinking to much my stomach will form a ball. I have to get up and walk. I fart and burp and it comes right by down,

RebeccaElise
on 12/24/12 4:40 am - Quincy, MA

A few things...

Walking will help you feel better, even if it hurts. It helps work the anesthesia, belly gas, and excess fluids out of your body.

Stay on top of your pain med doses. Try your best to stay on schedule with it, even if you have to set an alarm for yourself. Pain is the kind of thing that is easier to stay in front of than play catch-up with. Also, try to plan your walking about 30-45 minutes after a dose (provided that you're steady on your feet or have someone to walk with you) so that your pain is managed as much as possible for the time you're active.

If your pain is not controlled with the meds you were sent home with, call your surgeon! Your pain needs to be controlled for you to be able to do the things necessary to get better (drink fluids, get up and move around, do the breathing exercises, etc.)

You may also want to call your surgeon about using Tylenol with your pain meds. Sometimes they can be combined in lower doses and it's more effective. But NOT ALL meds can be combined, so CHECK WITH YOUR DOC!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views