Picky Eater

brandyle1975
on 12/19/12 8:20 am - Williamston, NC
RNY on 01/04/13

I am a really picky eater and I'm worried about what I will actually be able to eat after my surgery on Jan 4. I see all these ppl posting about cottage cheese, yogurts, soups, and such. I have tried yogurt and didn't like it. The only soups I eat are chicken noodle and mom's chicken and rice. What am I going to do?? Can a person live off mashed potatoes, jello, applesauce, and pudding?? Joking but at the same time I'm not  Please help!

Debbie W.
on 12/19/12 8:57 am
RNY on 12/11/12

If you live off mashed potatoes etc you will be burning muscle not fat.   You need to eat protein.  It's really hard to eat at first (at least for me) so I have two protein drinks a day.  I am a week post op, and started what my doctors plan is today.  3 tab. pureed protein 3x a day plus a shake and 64 oz. of water.    You need to follow your doctors/nutritionists plan.  Good luck!

CoCoBrown313
on 12/19/12 8:59 am - MI
I'm feeling you on this. I have tried several different kinds of yogurt and didn't like any of them. Can't bring myself to eat cottage cheese. I have no ideAl what to eat besides the foods you named.
Kat Kat
on 12/19/12 9:07 am, edited 12/19/12 9:08 am - AZ

Before you consider going forward with this surgery, I suggest you obtain your surgeons diet plan. If after you review it, you decide you are too picky to follow it, you really will need to rethink having WLS. This is a complete lifestyle change in which you will need to commit to changing your eating habits permanently. If you can not or will not be able to follow the diet, serious health issues and possible regain will most likely be expected. We're here to help you, and there are a few really great websites with recipes, but you still have to be able to adapt too.

Good recipes can be found at:

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ and http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Kat

brandyle1975
on 12/19/12 9:18 am - Williamston, NC
RNY on 01/04/13

Thanks for the sites. I'll def check them out! I've thought about this and researched it for over 3 years. I have talked to lots of ppl that have had the surgery...ppl with good and bad results. I am on board with the plan, just wondered if anyone else was like me.

Brandy

jessann5
on 12/19/12 10:41 pm - Kansas City, KS

Kat is so right. It's a complete life style change.

You must be willing to change what you eat because the carbs like mashed potatoes, rice, ect will hinder your weight loss. At 5 years out, I try to limit my carbs to only one "bread item" daily like a tortilla, or english muffin. The rest of my carbs come from fruit, veggies, and dairy.

Just be open minded, and go into trying new foods with a positive attitude and give them a fair shot.

Best wishes to you :)

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

SarahLee1969
on 12/19/12 10:45 am - NY
Look at your surgeons post op diet progression. Im sure there will be a few things in each stage that you will eat. Each stage typically adds a few more foods, so you will be gradually increasing the variety of foods you consume.
My surgeons plan allowed for mashed potato, grits/cream of wheat/oatmeal,yogurt, protein shakes and calorie free liquids early on.The amount was very small... like a teaspoon or 2. Once Ireached a point where my pouch had healed significantly, and I progressed to "normal" foods I was able to stick with the proteins and stop the mashed potato and other soft stuff.
grmadeb01
on 12/19/12 11:50 am - FL

well most surgeons recommend protein first,then fruits and vegges and starches...how you get your protein is up to you....i personally did not like the taste of the protein drinks, even the one like juice...it just had a fake taste to me, so you will have to find out someting to eat or drink to get your protein in....i personally do not like cottage cheese by itself, but with some fruit on it...not so bad. i have used jello powder and pineapple and can eat it that way..but plain, nope....i also use it with spaghetti sauce to make it like a lasagana with no noddles, the cottage cheese is a *****eaper than the ricotta cheese..

i make pizza chips..i take all of the favorite pizza toppins like pepperoni, ham, italian sausage etc..chop them up very well..take cheese, mozz, parm, cheddar, and i mix it in with the meats, then i add oreagno, italian seasoning and garlic...go easy on these as i over did once, and not so good...

mix this all up and spray some olive oil spray on parchment paper and place globs of mixture on it and then melt in oven...we like them kinda crispy around the edges...hubby likes to dunk his in pizza sauce...i have even at them cold..i have made pizza burgers...pizza toppings on top of a hamburger instead of crust....

you will have to try new things and i would start now before surgery, then re try them again after surgery....i never really did like yogurts much before..but now i eat a greek  yogurt 3-4 days out of the week each week..i have my favorite flavors..i use plan greek yogurt in place of milk in any receipe calling for milk...like i made corn bread....used plan greek  yogurt instead of milk....didnt notice a differenct...now i only had a bite or 2, after i ate my meat and fruit....i dont do much pre packaged foods, i pretty much cook most every thing we eat...i dont do applesauce, i eat a apple, i only eat fresh fruit, not canned of any kind.. i dont do puddings, or jello... if  i am going to eat mashed taters, i make them...from scratch, not from instant...adding plan greek yogurt instead of milk.,but i only get a bite or 2 after i eat my protein and fruit first...

what do you eat now? you will just have to find a way to make it more healthy and protein forward...check out Niks site, www.bariacticfoodie.com, she has great receipes and so does the www.worldaccordingtoeggface.com....if your going to eat  puddings, then you will have to find way to make them protein powder in them, same with applesauce, i have been using almond flour and almond butter in things to increase my protein with out having to use protein powder

good luck on your journey...

Debby

exohexoh
on 12/19/12 12:18 pm - West Chester, PA

i am a SUPER picky eater and have been fine. i'm 2 years post-op and eat LOTS of chicken breast, cheese, meatballs, eggs, ham, steak.... i can still eat most of what i ate before, just less, and not as much of the bad stuff.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/19/12 12:55 pm - OH
I think Kat gave great advice about asking for a copy of your surgeon's post-op eating plan to see what the plan calls for. If there are foods on there that you don't normally eat, try them. If you will not be able to eat enough protein, that could be a deal breaker, especially since many very picky eaters I know will not (even temporarily) drink protein or nutritional supplement drinks even when they know their body needs them.

If you can force yourself to drink protein shakes during whatever time period you are not able to eat solid foods, you can get by IF once you can eat solid foods you are willing to eat a wide enough variety of protein sources that you can get your protein in if meats (chicken, fish, beef) make you sick. If you are not willing to drink the protein shakes even if you have trouble finding one you like, you could be in trouble from a health standpoint after RNY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 329 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 161 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?