What do you think?

thynnlynn
on 12/18/12 1:32 am - MI

I was going through mt cabinets the other day and realized I have several cans of protein powder. They are quite outdated, but sealed. I was looking at the ingredient list and nothing looks like it would spoil and I know expiration dates are necessary but a lot of time, not really all that important.

However, the first ingredient is soy protein but there are whey isolates, as well, and a goodly amount of protein per scoop. If I were vegan, I would have to choose the soy and am wondering if I should use these along with the whey that I plan on buying.

I do not mind the outdated part. I am wondering if you would use both whey and soy protein. Money is a BIG factor here.

Will speak with the dietician on 12/26 when I go for my pre-op testing, but just thought I would ask you as I see that there is a pretty-good cross section of advice here.

Blessings.

Lynn

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

macjuicy
on 12/18/12 1:38 am - FL

Save it for the End of the world on Friday :)

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Infogal
on 12/18/12 1:50 am
Based on personal taste, you can use either but I would call the company info line and verify that the expired protein containers are still ok to use.

Infogal            
Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/18/12 2:04 am, edited 12/18/12 2:04 am

Soy protein is fine. Yes, protein powder is quite expensive, so I can understand the need to economize. I think the biggest difference you might notice is an odd taste (odder than normal for protein powder), but I do second Infogal's advice about double checking that these are okay to use. The manufacturer will undoubtedly tell you to throw them out, but you might check one of the health department websites. They are more likely to be impartial.

ETA: How long does your plan have you supplementing? I found my plan grossly overestimated the amount of protein powder I needed. Thankfully I did not buy as much as it suggested, or I would have had a huge supply.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
Recent Topics