Empathy or apathy towards MO people after your WLS?

Paula C.
on 12/4/12 11:22 pm

I have empathy towards MO people, because I feel bad for them, but then I don't know their situation.  I do not judge.  My parents are still somewhat obese, they used to be SMO, but have lost weight on their own, but not SKINNY. 

I have seen a couple of posters here who are still "high"/on honeymoon from WLS that now are very critical of MO people, shaming them, and it bugs me.  Especially when they had been MO themselves. 

What's up with that?  It just really makes me angry and my blood boil. 

thechief94
on 12/4/12 11:37 pm - NC

Granted, I am barely 2 1/2 weeks out, but I would have to say I have empathy for the MO I encounter when I am out and about. I took my daughters out to get them something to eat at the local Chinese restaurant (I had thinned out chicken broth - they do it so well there!) and just observed others and their choices. I couldn't believe I did that to myself! Fried chicken wings, fried won-tons, fried this, fried that, and the ever-present rice in all it's variations. Several times I thought "if they only knew what they were doing to themselves," but reminded myself that I am/was no better at that stage of my life. Sometimes it takes drastic measures (WLS) in order to bring things under control - if I had been able to achieve weight loss any other way I would have done so. WLS was my last resort, so I can't see looking down upon or being critical of others who may be on that same journey of discovery.

cajungirl
on 12/4/12 11:46 pm

Empathy no doubt.  I feel like someone stabbed me in the stomach ANYTIME I hear or read someone make a comment about a morbidly obese person.  I tend to tear up IRL when I see a MO person and get pissed off when I hear ANYONE make a fat comment or fat joke. 

Never forget where you came from people, NEVER.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

straberryz
on 12/5/12 12:31 am - Ottawa, Canada

Wish there was a "like " button for your response

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

jessann5
on 12/5/12 11:29 pm - Kansas City, KS

Amen Sister!

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/4/12 11:50 pm - Baltimore, MD

Neither.

People are people and they have the right to be who they are without any judgment from me. And like it or not empathy is judgment. It is you deciding that you feel bad for them because they are obese. In reality, you feel bad because YOU were obese and you are projecting your feelings onto them. This is not to say that many obese people are not unhappy, but as I don't know each person individually, I respect their right to be who and what they are free from judgment. So I feel neither apathy nor empathy.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

cajungirl
on 12/4/12 11:57 pm

Interesting thought and something to think about.  I do agree, I feel the "hurt" of me being obese for so many years and hearing comments toward MO people brings back the times I was laughed at, poked fun of and such.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Kim S.
on 12/5/12 12:01 am - Helena, AL

Damn NIk-you hit the nail on the head!  Well said.

Hollie313
on 12/5/12 12:01 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

I have empathy.  I know how horrible I felt about myself for SO long that I can't help but think they must feel the same way.  Maybe they don't.  In fact, I hope nobody feels as bad about themselves as I felt about myself.  I do, though, find myself feeling bad for others who are MO or SMO.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Jeffboutwell77
on 12/5/12 12:25 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I don't have either I try to inspire them by sharing my testimony and what God has done through the surgery and hard work that it takes to achieve good health. We know how we got to MO and we know the blessings WLS can provide in good health... I used to be indifferent to people with MO and yet now I know who they are on the inside they are mighty warriors wanting to fight their way out of a society that only accepts defeat...

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 295 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views