Cheese anyone????

pjw19_65
on 12/2/12 5:47 am

I'm three weeks out and my plan calls for low fat cheddar cheese which is 0g of fat, but all the stores carry reduced fat--can I have reduced fat?  It's only 1g of sugar, 5 g of protein, 1 carb, but 4.5 g of fat.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/2/12 7:18 pm
I've never seen 0% cheddar cheese. Low fat cheese is like cheese made from 2% milk. But it will have more than 2% fat. As long as your body can tolerate the cheese - it probably be fine. The only way to know is to try some.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bubbylucy
on 12/2/12 10:09 pm - Raleigh, NC

I was always told to go with the low-fat options not No fat. Tooo many other things put in fat free to make it taste good. I am three years out and eat cheese on everything. It always has been my protein additive. Mostly low fat but sometimes just regular.

Audra

Sara O.
on 12/2/12 11:02 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

Reduced fat is fine. I don't think there is such a thing as cheese with 0g fat. If there was I'm sure I would have come across it by now. lol

shygirlxoxo
on 12/3/12 12:31 am - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

I've seen no fat cheese at Kroger. It has NO taste at all! I would do reduced fat or skip it. Just a waste of money. It's rubbery and disgusting imo.

-Anna  HW: 401 | SW: 377 (12/04/12) Blog: http://notfattabulous.blogspot.com

pjw19_65
on 12/10/12 5:13 am

I did some research online and found out that Kraft makes some 0 fat cheese but if it has no taste, I think I will try reduced fat.

aesposito
on 12/3/12 3:24 am, edited 12/3/12 9:55 am

I would never ever recommend that someone go against their surgeon or nut's advice.....

But having said that, artificially low-fat and no-fat food is often disgusting, often filled with chemicals and often puffed up with added sugar for taste.  I ate full-fat everything for the past year and did just fine (the numbers don't lie, LOL). 

The only thing I count is carbs/sugar/protein, and I stop eating when I feel full.

Of course if your pouch is sensitive to fat (as some are), all bets are off....

Audrey

ETA: and protein

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/3/12 9:52 am - OH

I agree 100% on the disgusting low-fat/no-fat stuff.  Especially on something like cheese.  The only thing that I can think of that I buy that is no fat is Greek yogurt.  I buy full fat cheese, PB, mayo, etc.  I use real butter, drink 1% or 2% milk, and when I want ice cream would much rather have just a large spoonful of full fat full sugar Haagen Dazs than a much larger amount of something icy rather than creamy or something artificial that turns into a gelatinous slime when it melts!

Most of my diet, though, is fairly low fat, so using 2 TB of real mayo for an entire can of tuna (which lasts about 3 meals for me), or using 2TB of real peanut butter occasionally, isn't a big deal. I don't count fat (or anything besides protein), but I also don't eat fried foods or really high fat items because too much fat bothers my system more than too much sugar.

Five years out and it works for me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/3/12 9:55 am - OH

I also have never seen completely fat free cheese.  By its nature, cheese has fat. Your body NEEDS some fat in order to function properly (and to avoid constipation and really dry skin), so a serving of cheese with less than 5g of fat shouldn't be a problem at all, especially since the rest of your diet is, I'm sure, very low fat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views