I need help, I've fallen off of the wagon

brandi31cole
on 11/23/12 4:56 pm - arlington, TX

//Hi! I had gastric bypass done on 8/27/12 and have lost 40 lbs since then. I have fallen off the wagon big time. I contacted my NUT and she just told me to go to a support group meeting. I have been under major stress lately. My husband lost his job and with that went my insurance, my mother had a heart attack, I broke my foot, and my son's asthma has flared up due to the sudden weather changes. I have turned to food as a way to cope, then I get depressed because I've eaten food that I shouldn't have eaten. Then I go eat more, it's a vicious cycle. I really need help. I need someone to point me in the right direction. I did attend the support group meeting and I felt a little better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Allen Y.
on 11/23/12 5:16 pm - Garland, TX

YOU HAVE TAKEN THE FIRST STEP. You have realized what you have done. Sounds like you might have to take some drastic measures and take all the comfort food out of the house. See if there is a 'Tops' chapter that meets in your area.

Next time you feel the need to abuse food post in here instead. I was just feeling guilty on snacking on a piece of cheese. Yes I have still been loosing. But I need to focus on keeping to the straight and narrow. But few of us are even close to perfect or we would not need surgery to loose weight.

Your Friend

Allen

molly3613
on 11/23/12 10:15 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Allen:

What is a Tops chapter. I live in Houston and am looking for more than the support group at the hospital. I know they are here in this city someplace. Where?

MultiMom
on 11/23/12 10:32 pm - NH

TOPS is Take Off Pounds Sensibly..Here is a LINK to the search for meetings. 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Friendlybyte
on 11/23/12 10:41 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

I had my surgery the day after you! kiss  I am sorry that you are going through some very hard times.   You did the right thing to post here, that is a great way to reach out for help!  I hope you can find a local support group that will help you get through this... Just know you can always come here to get through a tough moment of weakness!  Good luck to you and you can always send me a message if you need a friend...

molly3613
on 11/23/12 10:42 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Thanks. I will check into it.

brandi31cole
on 11/24/12 3:07 am - arlington, TX

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words. I just signed up for TOPS and will be attending my first meeting on Monday.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/24/12 3:11 am, edited 11/24/12 3:12 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

I sure know what you're going through. Tough times make it awfully hard to maintain the food plan.

Do one easy thing. It might be, as was suggested, removing all flour and sugar products from your home. It might be committing to eating protein and a vege before you eat bad things for comfort. Or maybe committing to taking 15 or 20 minutes to finish a meal, & waiting 20 minutes before deciding to eat again--it could be for only one meal of the day; you don't have to try for all of them right away.

Do whatever is a doable step for you in your present cir****tances. Do something you have a good chance of succeeding at most of the time. A little success creates more success.

Good luck finding a support group, and never give up, never surrender!

About TOPS: It is a national organization, so there are rules, but in my experience each meeting / chapter is different. I quit going to one because the meetings were chaotic and there were a lot of silly things that put me off. But it depends on the leadership. Enjoy!

madeformore
on 11/24/12 3:52 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

Support groups can be great - but so can one-on-one counseling to help you learn more about you and why you eat and how to cope with those feelings you are trying to "stuff" (that's how I feel when I do it). There is no shame in using ALL resources available to us to be successful! Best of luck to you.

Blessings,

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

nfarris79
on 11/24/12 3:58 am - Germantown, MD

Agreeing with the PPs on attending as much groups as you can AND considering individual therapy. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life, and not just related to your eating.... stress can affect the whole body & mind, and for you to be there for your family, you need to give yourself every support possible. Good luck!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views