I can't help myself but this i must post...

Jeffboutwell77
on 11/9/12 10:53 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

no Hello all you beautiful people out there I just wanted to remind everyone to stay positive especially when negative people say there is nothing positive in life. When you meet these people just say to them. " There i one thing positive about what you just said." and when they ask what that was you just say. "I refuse to listen to negative people like you!!!" have a LOL day...

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Friendlybyte
on 11/9/12 11:23 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

Amen to that!  laugh

Dyneshia
on 11/9/12 11:44 pm - Mabank, TX
RNY on 11/05/12

I agree 

daphneb
on 11/10/12 2:52 am - AK

Well said!  I believe in smiling at everyone you approach, it's the best feeling in the world when you get someone to smile back and they don't even know why!  I think those little things are a great way to get the most negative people out of their funk.

Love your post! wink

Larry Wassmann
on 11/10/12 3:16 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

Even the most positive statement can be taken negatively. Depends on intent and that is hard to see on the Internet or Email.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/12 3:51 am, edited 11/10/12 11:52 am - OH
If someone is saying there is NOTHING positive in life, they are likely suffering from severe depression (and may even be entertaining suicidal thoughts). They may have very good reason for believing there is nothing good in life. The last thing they need in such a situation is you judging them and rudely calling them "negative" to their faces.

How about just wishing them a better day and moving on instead?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jeffboutwell77
on 11/10/12 10:18 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

The statement was in good humor and I really don't know why humor would put the idea of suicide in some ones brain. no my statement was not meant for the depressed it was meant for negative people who are toxic and like to see the severe of bad in everything. Someone who is depressed just wants to be left alone but not really they are reaching out for someone who will help them just moving on is to say you don't care and are not willing to reach out to them... instead you should try to reach them with a good attitude and talk with them. if you joke with them it might reveal that someone actually cares about their day...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/12 9:54 pm, edited 11/11/12 5:56 am - OH
Well, unfortunately, your manner of "joking" about how negative someone is will likely NOT lighten their mood if they are seriously depressed. It will likely be seen as judgment and criticism. It is one thing to joke with someone whom you KNOW to simply be pessimistic by nature, but quite another if you do not know that person very well and know that they are not clinically depressed (which you are very unlikely to know even if it is someone you see on a daily basis).

No, of course YOUR response would not make them think of suicide, and I did not say that. I said that someone that you are thinking is just being negative may ALREADY be so depressed that they are considering suicide and your comment may be taken as just more evidence of how "messed up" they are and how uncaring and harsh the world can be.

Your characterization of someone who is depressed just wanting to be left alone is inaccurate. Many depressed people DESPERATELY want conta t and interaction with other people, but your "joking" is not the type of positive interaction they need.

I just think you need to be cautious about being so flippant with people. Regardless of the situation, saying something encouraging will have a more positive effect than something sarcastic or "funny".&.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

daphneb
on 11/10/12 5:09 pm - AK

I think some people take these forums a tad too seriously and I agree with your last statement.  People need to "chill" out.  Good Lord.  Hope your weekend is going well 

Jeffboutwell77
on 11/10/12 9:08 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I wish there were a like button for your post.... remember to stay happy and if you forget just remember to make someone laugh and then you will remember to laugh and then you will have invented your very own sitcom... have a great week...

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 331 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 218 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics