Muscle does weigh more than fat but when...

Jeffboutwell77
on 11/1/12 12:10 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
Over a 12-week period, some research shows people can increase their lean body mass by two to four pounds. However, on balance the majority of the research has shown a slower pace; beginners who lift weights two or three times a week typically gain one pound of muscle per month for about six months. I think the latter is closer to how the average person lifts weights, rather than many of the studies where subjects are pushed pretty hard to see how much muscle and weight they are able to gain in the shortest period of time.

This was something I found on a website called fitor fiction. Com
It make sense to say that muscle does weigh more than fat but it takes longer to in increase muscle than it does for us bariatric patients to decrease fat hang in there and exercise always...

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

artroxy blue
on 11/1/12 12:14 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I don't think it just applies to bariatric patients, but to anyone who is trying to increase their muscle mass under these conditions. If you decided to become a bodybuilder, then you'd go about it a bit differently. ;)

Kim S.
on 11/1/12 1:01 am - Helena, AL

To be clear.........muscle and fat weigh exactly the same.  A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.  However, a lb of muscle is denser, so it takes up less SPACE than a lb of fat.

LJ1972
on 11/1/12 1:50 am - FL

thank you!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

cajungirl
on 11/1/12 2:03 am

Thank you Kim.  I see this mentioned often.  A lb is a lb is a lb.  It's the "package" of XYZ that may be bigger or smaller.  I actually had a conversation about 2 weeks ago with my youngest son.....he was comparing feathers to rocks and said the feathers would weight more BECAUSE it took more feathers.....Yes son it does take MORE feathers to make a pound then rocks but they both weight A POUND.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Jeffboutwell77
on 11/1/12 2:24 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
I believe the point I was making is the fact that it will take you longer to put on a pound of muscle, than it wil to put on a pound of fat... Newton does not apply because gravity has nothing whatsoever to do with burning fat and gaining muscle... Only the laws of motion need apply...
Thank you very much

Kim S.
on 11/1/12 3:13 am - Helena, AL

Interesting concept.

Think about this though....it IS easier to gain a lb of fat IF I eat crap AND don't move my body.

But, if I maintain my workout schedule, I will actually gain a lb of muscle quicker than I'd gain a lb of fat.  My point is this isn't really comparing apples to apples. OMG-my head is hurting now from thinking about this!  I will say though, as a general rule, in my history it is always much harder to build muscle as far as the time required compared to gaining weight....I am a PRO at gaining fat!!

Thanks for a thought provoking post. Can I count this mental exercise towards my daily exercise total???!!! 

Jeffboutwell77
on 11/1/12 3:47 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
There is no fat in your brain if you keep thinking skinny....

Kim S.
on 11/1/12 3:17 am - Helena, AL

And may I also say BRAVO for taking exercise so seriously.  It is such an important component to weight maintenance and overall good health.  I'm so glad I started it early and have never stopped.

Have you checked out the Exercise and Fitness forum?

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics