Has anyone had their entire stomach removed?

Ihateusernames
on 10/10/12 4:42 pm - Parkville, MD
 I had a follow-up with my primary care physician today (I have fibromyalgia).  Anyway, I was telling her about a girl in the UK who had to have her entire stomach removed due to a ****tail she'd ingested.  My doctor told me that the girl would be fine as this basically is what I'll be having done, too.  I told her that my surgeon told me he would not remove the stomach.  She said that didn't make sense to her as the enzymes aren't made in the stomach but in a different part of the body.  Anyway, I just wondered if any of you had had your whole stomach removed....?  I know it's a weird question, but I just wondered.  My surgeon did tell me that it was wise to leave it in "just in case" he ever needed to reattach it.  I can't imagine why he would ever need to do such a thing.  Anyway, I just wondered what some of your experiences have been if you want to share.
Appreciatively,
Laura 
scarlettbegonias
on 10/10/12 5:22 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 I'm having a resection all rny - my remnant stomach is being removed, this is happening for two reasons the first being I went in for a sleeve the surgeon effed up big time and I lost a pie slice out of the middle of my stomach, I now can't be sleeved due to blood flow issues.
second reason was that I had the most unbelievable paranoia of a blind stomach -so it's going!!

i know there are a few others on here that have no remnant some have been revised from other wls some  have just had a straight up resection all bypass

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

scarlettbegonias
on 10/10/12 5:23 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 Stupid iPad resectional

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Ihateusernames
on 10/11/12 4:36 am - Parkville, MD
 I'm sorry you've had such a rough time.  Thank you for sharing though.
Allen Y.
on 10/10/12 5:42 pm - Garland, TX
 I can tell you almost all of mine was removed do to a fistula and I have a friend I know of that after constant pain for a year they did indeed remove the entire remnant stomach.

Ihateusernames
on 10/11/12 4:33 am - Parkville, MD
 Thank you, Allen. :)
Dani Dutch
on 10/10/12 5:44 pm - Netherlands
Strange... does your doctor think you are having a Duodenal Switch? Everything I have seen and read those of us with a RNY keep our stomach it is just sealed off.
Ihateusernames
on 10/11/12 4:34 am - Parkville, MD
 I don't know what she's thinking to be honest....
poet_kelly
on 10/10/12 7:20 pm - OH
RNY patients typically do not have any part of their stomach removed.  It sounds like your PCP doesn't understand how the surgery is typically done or how it works.

VSG and DS patients typically have about 85% of their stomachs removed.

If your entire stomach was removed, you would have no pouch.  Food would go directly into your small intestine.

Some enzymes are made in the stoma*****luding intrinsic factor, which we need in order to digest B12.  It sounds like your PCP is really unfamiliar with RNY.  I would not rely on her for information about that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ihateusernames
on 10/11/12 4:35 am - Parkville, MD
 Yeah, I think you're right.  She had the sleeve done years ago and told me she dies not recommend it at all.  I guess she just doesn't know much about the other surgery.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views