pre-op diet question - not losing any weight?

shellykayd
on 10/5/12 4:21 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
I started my pre-op diet on Oct 1st.  Surgery is the 15th.  I have been following the diet exactly.  The first day I lost 3 pounds.  I have not lost ANYTHING since then.  Is that a problem?

I'm in a lot of pain, so exercising really isn't something I can do right now, although when I do get to the grocery store or whatever, I am able to walk around while pushing a cart for longer periods.

I guess I just assumed that cutting back to 1000 calories a day would really take some of the weight off before surgery.

I know the diet is to shrink the liver to make surgery safer and easier, but....is that all?

Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks!

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

missmomof4
on 10/5/12 4:31 am
RNY on 09/10/12
 you lost 3 pounds right off the bat and that is great! Remember 3500 calories = 1lbs. Also, your body is thinking what is going on here??? and probably holding on to what it can. the most important part is to shrink your liver for surgery and unless your surgeon wanted you to lose a certain amount of weight during this pre-op diet, then i wouldnt worry too much about it. You still have 10 more days of this diet, you will drop some more :)

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Mignon9
on 10/5/12 4:52 am - OH
RNY on 09/24/12
 Just follow the diet and get your water in you'll be fine.  The main idea is to avoid having that last big meal and shrinking your liver.  So your surgery will go nice and easy.  Plus your doctor will probably have you do bowel prep and that diet will definitely be more stricter and you'll drop a few more lbs don't stress about it. 
Dee.spunk
on 10/5/12 4:53 am - Sacramento, CA
You won't loose right away. I didn't lose at all the first two weeks, then I lost 10 lbs all at once! It takes time. Give it time.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

longhornrose
on 10/5/12 5:10 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
I honestly don't remember how much I lost on my 2-week pre-op diet, but it wasn't a lot.  As several people have said, the main purpose is to shrink your liver in order to make surgery easier and safer for your surgery.  I'll bet you'll lose more before surgery day, as long as you stick with the plan.

Best wishes to you now, during surgery, and after!

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

kathyshrinks
on 10/5/12 6:33 am, edited 10/5/12 6:33 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I lost 6 pounds on my pre-op diet and was scared it wasn't enough.  I went to the hospital expecting to be weighed - nope!  They didn't weight me or quiz me about wherther I had followed the diet.  After surgery, they told me my liver had not been in the way at all.  Surgery was a snap, and recovery was a breeze compared to what I know otheres have gone through.  I guess what I am saying is if you follow the diet, your liver will shrink, and that's what it's about.  It's not about the pounds.

Best of luck to you!

Lindsay J.
on 10/5/12 6:43 am - Minot, ND
RNY on 09/05/12
Does your doctor require a loss of weight in order to do the surgery? My doctor required 15 pounds and when I went in for surgery there was even a note stuck to my chart saying "if patient has lost 0 pounds or gained, surgery will be rescheduled. If patient has not lost 15 please contact Dr." So I would make sure what the don't require anything for surgery to be done other than following the post-op to shrink liver.

shellykayd
on 10/5/12 7:01 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
The doctor never said anything about losing any weight before surgery, just to follow the diet for 14 days.

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

Bellaluna468
on 10/5/12 7:10 am
RNY on 10/26/12
 Get your water in...your body may be in starvation mode ...but don't worry, you will have a loss.  The most important thing is to follow your diet so your liver will shrink.   

dizzylizzy19
on 10/5/12 7:44 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
I was on a liquid diet for 1 week prior to surgery and I didn't lose a single pound.  But it started to fall off after surgery
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views