Surgery hopeful: How important is getting a recliner?

elmo7241999
on 9/30/12 1:25 am
So, if all goes well, I'll have surgery in the spring.  I don't have a recliner currently.  I've heard of people having a hard time sleeping in bed right after surgery.  Did you experience that?  Would it be in my own best interest to get a recliner? 
dinas27
on 9/30/12 1:30 am - IL
RNY on 09/10/12
I just had surgery on the 10th of September and I didnt need a recliner.  I used 2 pillows to keep me propped up, laid on my right side and had a pillow cradeling my belly..lol  Was not pretty but it worked.  I'm not able to sleep laying down with 1 pillow on my right side (still cant lay on my left).  I dont think I could get a good nights sleep in a recliner.  Just my opinion!  Good Luck!!!

GraceGirl
on 9/30/12 1:34 am
I can home from the hospital ( I was not able to sleep in the hospital at all my tailbone was giving me so much pain) So when I got home I went right into my bed, i slept on my side and slept in bed everytime, no problems if I did tunr over in my sleep it woke me up and i re positioned myself.

You could use a nice long body pillow and just make like a pillow cave to keep you comfy. I fully expected I would need a recliner.

There are medical stores they do rent out recliner chairs, if you do need one that might be an option.

Good Luck :)

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

glzgowlass
on 9/30/12 1:36 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 U could but only if u wanted one anyway. It wouldn't be worth the expense because the discomfort is relatively short lived. We already had a recliner and I used it during the day not at night. I think if I had excercised before surgery ( like they recommend u to) recovery would have been much better. 

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

hannan
on 9/30/12 1:39 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
I slept on the couch because it was easier for me to get out of. A recliner would be nice but you would probably only need it for a week. If you've been interested in a recliner get one but if you're buying it just for post-op I wouldn't bother. Its up to you but I wouldn't put it on my must have list.

Dee.spunk
on 9/30/12 1:43 am - Sacramento, CA
I went out and bought one. I couldn't get comfortable any other way! But everyone is different.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

brenlee1965
on 9/30/12 2:13 am - New Berlin, NY
Extremely important. My cousins gave me one that they were getting rid of,so I was lucky. I slept in mine for 3 weeks. Cause I hurt myself heaving myself out of bed.
 Bren                
wendydettmer
on 9/30/12 2:41 am - Rochester, NY
i don't have one. would have been nice, but i wasn't going to go get one just for the occasion. i used pillows to prop myself up on the couch. I did sleep more sitting up for several weeks. wasn't a big deal.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

mpjones
on 9/30/12 2:51 am
See how all doctors seem to have different requirements--in my instructions for after surgery it says in capital letters NO RECLINERS. In my living room is a couch (which I can't use because it's too low) and 3 recliners. Don't know what they expect me to sit on once I'm home-lol. I can't see any difference in sitting on a recliner than a regular chair so my plan is to use my recliners--hopefully will be able to use my own bed for sleeping as it is really high and there shouldn't be any strain as far as getting on or off of it.
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/12 3:22 am, edited 9/30/12 3:23 am
I am one of those people you may have read about.  I have been a side sleeper most of my life.  After surgery I could not sleep on my side, but I also have hip and disk issues  and couldn't lie flat on my back.  I am 59 so my age was making it even more difficult.  My recliner saved my life  LOL I at least could sleep in that, even though I was on my back.  The recliner curves where you body needs support. 
I also had my little table with all my water, meds, you name it at my disposal.
You may not have a single problem as far as bed or the couch.  I believe this is totally a personal choice. But for me thank goodness I had a recliner.  Invest in a good one.   Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views