Sleeping positions

denaraye
on 9/22/12 3:16 pm - MI
I am 8 days post op and feeling good for the most part - but I am having a hard time sleeping.  I have always been one to sleep on my side at night and have been unable to do this since surgery.  Sleeping on my back causes back pain within a couple of hours and I am up and down the rest of the night.  To top this off - now I am getting like an electrical shock in my right thigh to add to the discomfort.

Any idea of how much longer it will be too painful to sleep on my side?  Any idea what the heck the electrical shock pain is?

I'm tired and pray for a good nights sleep!

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

ArwensRose
on 9/22/12 3:42 pm
RNY on 09/06/12
I am also a side sleepr and spent a week sleeping proped up and finally at exactly a week I said "screw it" and decided to sleep on my side.  I propped myself so that my tummy was propped up wiith a body pillow, a pillow in between my legs and I had pillows along my back as well.  It took probably 10 minutes to find a comfortable position, but finally I was able to sleep and slept the best I had since surgery.

I had lapo not open, so if you had open it might take a great deal longer.

My suggestion, try a variety of positions, be very careful in your movement and get help if you can to get into the right position.  It helped that my husband helped pillow me.  LOL.  If you are careful, you should be able to move to side sleeping in the next few days.

Friendlybyte
on 9/22/12 4:13 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

So sorry you are having a hard time getting comfortable so that you can sleep!  I am sooo with you on this!  I am almost 4 weeks post op and I have had numbness and shocking pain in my left thigh since the surgery!!  It is giving me more trouble than the surgery it self!  I have been seeing my Chiropractor for adjustments and start accupunture on Monday.  We believe I must of done something to a disc that is pinching a nerve.  My poor husband has been going to the Chiropractor as well since he tweaked his back sleeping on the pull out chair bed while I was in the hospital!! LOL We are a mess!  Good luck and hope you feel better soon...

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/22/12 9:41 am, edited 9/22/12 9:42 am
 While sleeping on your back place a pillow under your knees. Either nice soft large pillow or a round or special edge pillow. It helps. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SoCaPinkLady
on 9/22/12 5:24 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
I'm a tummy or side sleeper. It didn't take me long to be able to sleep comfortable after surgery. It was the getting into and out of position that hurt but I did what I had to do to get in the position I wanted to be in.   Good Luck!

Lori                               

Allen Y.
on 9/22/12 10:05 pm - Garland, TX
 My solution would be tylonol and melatonin.

brenlee1965
on 9/23/12 12:32 pm - New Berlin, NY
I usually slept on my side and then my stomach prior to surgery....Now I am forced to sleep in my recliner. I cannot find a comfortable position in my bed. Because I wasn't comfortable, I kept trying to get up and move around alot and it caused me to start getting sharp stabbing pain in my belly button and I still have terrible pain from my left scar all the way around to my back. I am going on my 4th week out from surgery. The doc thinks it's the deep sutures that I am feeling and since the nerve runs along that area, she thinks I have irritated that nerve causing the pain. I sure hope my pain and your pain disappears fast!
 Bren                
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??