Everything went well with surgery until I got home

Jeffboutwell77
on 9/22/12 6:21 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
 My surgery was a success and everything went well up until the time I came home. When I got home I began feeling Nauseated I continued with the regimen of 2 ounces protien 6 ounces of water every hour. I layed down to sleep when I woke up to crazy heat so I checked my temp and it was 102.9. I called the oncall surgeon who told me to continue with the inspired spirelometer  (it is that funky thing you suck air from to get your oxygen saturation levels up) I continued to do this but the fever never broke, So I got into a cold shower and then slept with the airconditioner at full blast. Finally the fever broke in the morning and I felt better... Praise God ! I got ont the phone and told my surgeon what had happen so he put me on 8 ounces of water every hour and no proteinfor the next twenty four hours or until I felt better.Now the only complications I face are keeping the cat off of my bellyin the morning...LOL things are going better now and I am back on protein.

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

wmamey
on 9/22/12 6:31 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Hope you feel better soon! Keep on drinkin'

AlohaJen
on 9/22/12 6:35 am
RNY on 09/05/12

So sorry to hear about your homecoming!  It is still amazing how each surgeon is different... I am in my 3rd post op week, and I just got moved to pureed foods.  I came home on clear liquids for a week, then moved to full liquids for the next week. Also, I had 2 episodes of nausea at the hospital so when he discharged me home, he also gave me an RX for a nausea med.  I only had to use it twice, but am so glad I have it.  We have a black Maine Coon cat and we shut our bedroom door at night, so that takes care of my belly pounces by her each morning!  Good luck , you are on your way now !     Jen

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

karenp8
on 9/22/12 8:53 am - Brighton, IL
I know what you mean about the cats. My two have been fascinated with my stomach ever since I had my surgery about a month ago. I was worried I had done something to myself yesterday because I had a spot on my stomach that really hurt. When I woke up with the cat in that exact spot this morning and a slight bruise I know what happened at least!
a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 9/22/12 9:00 am
RNY on 09/17/12
Glad you're home and finally on your way to a better place.  I still feel nauseous at day 6 and REALLY bloated/full.  But WE DID IT!!  Now we just have to figure our bodies out again lol. 

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

Annie_Anaba
on 9/22/12 9:03 am
RNY on 08/27/12
Good luck and I hope you continue to get better. My problem was our mini schnauzer pup. She kept smelling my belly and tried to lick my wounds. Since I had the J.P. drain home with me my husband had to sleep with her in the guest room. We were afraid she would try to chew it when we slept. Even now almost 4 weeks post-op she sniffs at me, lol.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/12 10:11 am - OH
 Just want to clarify something...  You said "2 ounces protein 6 ounces of water every hour".  You aren't eating and drinking at the same time are you?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jeffboutwell77
on 9/22/12 10:27 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
No just Luiquids for the next two weeks and then I graduate into moist and mushy...

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/12 10:30 am - OH
Ok, good.  I recently met a woman who is 2 months out from her RNY and her surgeon NEVER told her the cardinal rule of RNY, which is not drinking with (or for 30 minutes after) meals!  That is the first time I had heard of someone not being told that, but then she asked someone else who had the same surgeon and she was not told either... So I was afraid maybe your surgeon had not told you, either.

Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

longhornrose
on 9/22/12 12:14 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
It's funny (and not the "ha ha" kind, LOL!), but I had the same experience with nausea.  I was fine in the hospital - evidently, the nausea med they were giving me worked - but as soon as I got home, it set in, and I was pretty miserable for the next day or so.  The Rx he gave me initially didn't do a thing, so he put me on something else, which did the trick.

Sorry about the fever - I'm so thankful I haven't had a problem with that.  Glad you've turned the corner (or at least, it sounds like you have) and things are looking up.  I'm on Day 10 post-op, and just like everyone here says, it's gets better every day!

Oh, and btw, after the nausea phase came the diarrhea phase (another med for that), and now I've moved onto the constipation phase!  So see what you have to look forward to? 

As for pets and sore bellies, we don't have cats, but I have 3 Shih Tzus, one of which weighs over 20 lbs. (I call him alternately a Giant Tzu, or my Big Lug).  About the 2nd day home, I was sitting on the sofa, and he decided I needed him in my lap.  He took a flying leap, with one of his big paws landing dead center of my belly!  OUCH! 

Keep your chin up, sounds like you're doing pretty well all things considered.  Good luck to you.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?