slrm2m2
on 9/20/12 8:35 pm - Canada
 If you don't mind sharing...

1.how many calories are you eating in maintenance
2.how much exercise do you do
3.what is the weight you are trying to maintain
4.how tall are you
5. how old are you

I'm just trying to see how these factors correlate for most people in maintenance.
Thanks!
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Ladytazz
on 9/20/12 10:28 pm
I wish I could answer for you but I'm still trying to figure that out myself.  I didn't think it would be that difficult.  In the past, before WLS I don't remember having to worry so much about maintenance.  I just ate however I ate to lose weight and then at some point I stopped losing and began maintaining.  I figured that was how it worked.  When I was younger I would stop around 120 lbs.  As I got older it was more like 135 but that was fine for me.  With my first WLS I figured the same thing would apply but what happened was I lost to 120 and then immediately started gaining back, at first about 10 or so lbs a year and then it piled on.  The only time I maintained was when I gave up sugar and white carbs and I lost to about 150 lbs, which again was fine with me.  I stayed that way with little effort as long as I avoided the refined carbs.  I didn't experience much restriction so I was still eating larger quantities but my surgery was very malabsorptive so I thought that would compensate.  I maintained at 150 for several months until I got the bright idea that I could start eating refined carbs again in moderation.  I couldn't.  From then until my revision I gained 70 lbs.
This time I expected much slower weight loss because I was a revision and revisions typically lose weight slower.  Additionally, because my revision was to increase my absorption I assumed that I would need to eat much fewer calories in order to maintain my weight.  I was eating around 1600 calories thinking that would keep me at a reasonable weight but I kept losing weight, much more then I ever expected.  I actually got to below 100 lbs and I was getting nervous.  I don't remember weighing that ever.  Even when I was younger I passed right through that number and never saw it on a scale.
I started eating more and eventually settled around 103 lbs for a while.  I pretty much stayed there for a year.  Even though it was much less then I felt comfortable with I was happy that I was at least stable.  After a year I figured I had the maintaining part down and I wanted to put on some more weight.  I just don't like how I look at this weight.  For me to gain weight it means I have to eat often because I can't really eat a lot at one time.  I also have to eat foods that are higher in calories like healthy fats and carbs.  One thing I refuse to do is give in and eat things with sugar or refined carbs.  I am sugar free and gluten free and I am comfortable eating this way and I find that I don't have any cravings when I don't eat the refined carbs.  I have decided that I want to gain very slowly, even as slow as a pound a month.  If I do that then in a year I will be up about 12 lbs or to 115 lbs, which is still small but better then where I am at.  I am afraid to gain too quickly and to go out of control.  It may not work out that way but that is what I am trying right now.  I still have no idea what I ultimately want to weigh or how to eat to stay there.  There is no real guidebook for me.  The amount of calories that one needs to consume to maintain is different for everyone because everyone is different.  For me it's a matter of experimenting to find out what works.  I am finding that I can't be as rigid with my eating as I had been, that I need to loosen up a bit.  I stopped tracking my food because it was making me too crazy.  
What worked for me before WLS was eating 3 meals a day and nothing in between.  Obviously that won't work now, not just for my weight but for my blood sugar, which can drop very low if I don't eat frequently.  I feel like I am eating all the time now, about every 2 or 3 hours.  I really don't know how many calories I consume in a day.  I have pretty much decided that in order to gain weight I need to not count calories like I did when I wanted to lose weight, kind of like doing the opposite of what worked to lose weight in order to gain some.
I don't have any formal exercise program.  I try to be as active as I can but some days I am just lazy.  I haven't rode my bike nearly as much as I wanted to this summer.  I've been having problems with neck pain and headaches and I just haven't felt like being active.  I don't recommend that but it hasn't affected my weight to this point.  It is still my goal to find a good routine that I can stick with.  Now that I am working I hope I can afford to join the community center so I can use their pool and weight room.
I am 5'3" and 54 years old.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/12 8:19 pm, edited 9/20/12 8:19 pm
 For me it is what I eat and not calories itself. 
After I eliminated most starchy carbs and most sugars - I can maintain and even lose weight if I want to. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MultiMom
on 9/21/12 3:31 am - NH
FOR ME maintenance caloric intake was about 1600 calories. I am 55, don't exercise much and am 5' 5" and weight of 115. I found this caloric number on LIVESTRONG. It is the first step on the daily plate calorie tracker. Right now I am trying to gain by getting in as many healthy calories as I can!!

You don't have to register or use the Daily Plate, but I liked it to track what I was eating. I found it to be very accurate when you put in all the information that includes height, weight, whether you want to gain, lose or maintain and your activity level.

GOOD LUCK!!! Maintenance is the toughest part 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

poet_kelly
on 9/21/12 6:41 am - OH
1.  About 1500, give or take a little.

2.  I walk sometimes.  Anywhere from one to three miles a day, anywhere from three to six days a week.  That's about it.

3.  I am currently around 136 pounds and want to stay below 140.

4.  I'm 5'4".

5. 40.  Soon to be 41.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 9/21/12 5:43 pm - San Antonio, TX

I eat 1800-2000 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4". 

I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

I eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 main meals and 3-4 snacks daily that include protein.

I eat at least 100 grams of Protein a day. I eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat. I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams). I also eat eggs. I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. 

I have never introduced a food into my mouth that I have not planned to eat. I always consider the protein and nutritional value of each morsel. 

I know this rigid, controlled way of life is not for everyone, but it works great for me!

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Laura in Texas
on 9/21/12 5:51 pm
1. How many calories are you eating in maintenance? 1700-2000

2. How much exercise do you do? 3 times a week, usually an hour on elliptical, an hour on weights

3. What is the weight you are trying to maintain? under 140

4. How tall are you? 5' 7"

5. How old are you? 46

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

slrm2m2
on 9/21/12 7:22 pm - Canada
 Thanks for the replies, ladies.  Its interesting to see what is working for different people in mainteance.  It certainly looks like an individual thing that is discovered through trial and error.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics