Opti Fast for 4wks! Ack !!!!

Sheila W.
on 9/19/12 7:58 pm

I'm pretty excited I have my surgery date for Oct 19th...  I start my liquid diet (Opti-fast) tomorrow!
My surgeon used some word to describe the space between my ribcage... he said it was small, I teased him that I actually had something small on my body...  Anyway he wants to really shrink my liver and  make more room for the surgery so I get to do Opti-Fast for 4wks.  My BMI is 56 and he would prefer it be 55 or under for the surgery, so his plan is to shrink my liver, and for me to loose about 11lbs by surgery date of Oct 19th.

My question is that possible.  How much have others lost doing there liquid pre diet.  I'll be eating 5 Opti-Fast supplements a day for a total of 800 cal, so I would think this is doable.  I'm worried, what if I show up for surgery and it hasn't come off or he doesn't feel I've made enough room in the ribcage area?  I'm getting Roux-en-Y, laprascopic and I only have to stay one night in hospital.  Has anyone else had that short of a stay?  My surgeon says he test for leaks 3 different ways before letting me go home and that I'll recover better at home.

Anyway.. thanks in advance for any input and info regarding the Optifast and the expected weightloss during 4wks of it.

God Bless!

kirk6400
on 9/19/12 8:06 pm - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12
Optifast for 4 weeks and only 11 lbs.....that is soooooo doable. I expect you to lose more than 11 lbs in that 4 wk time frame. My hospital stay was only one night too and as long as you pass the leak test recovering at home is definitely better.

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

scarlettbegonias
on 9/19/12 8:14 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 Hey we have the same surgery date!!

Im sure you can easily lose that on opti over 4 weeks-I lost abit over that on my other surgery and I was only on the opti two weeks with green vegetables at night.

I would love to do one night stay- I'm booked in for three nights but that's because I'm a bundle of complicated mess, if they think something's wrong they'll keep you in another night :-)

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

rynbiz
on 9/19/12 8:58 pm - Surprise, AZ
and congrats on your date its nice to walk and eat right and lose weight or inches every week im a little over a month  out surgey was 8/6/2012 height 5'9 271 down to 242 I did stall for two weeks was on able to do excesise for two weeks and in the last week I have droped 8lbs

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/19/12 8:37 pm
I was on Optifast for 6 weeks prior to surgery. I was allowed 7 per day (1200 cal) but usually only had 5 or 6.  I lost 15 lbs the first 2 weeks,  10 lbs during weeks 3 & 4 and 5 more pounds in week 5.  I lost nothing week 6 (no cheating either).  But I was happy with 30 lbs in 6 weeks.

I have coffee with vanilla Optifast and SF hazelnut syrup every morning.  (Add the Optifast, syrup to a little cold water to make a swirly then add the hot coffee gradually or you will get protein chuncks). If it's not hot enough you can nuke it a few seconds.  I usually did 20 seconds.

I did chocolate Optifast shake, water, ice and sf raspberry syrup
I made chocolate with sf coconut syrup for a mounds bar shake
I added sf raspberry syrup to strawberry Opitfast shake.
Optifast alone is not very tasty.  I needed the sf syrups to get through.

Winnie

rynbiz
on 9/19/12 8:53 pm - Surprise, AZ
two weeks pre up i was on a clear liquid diet and protein I lost 20lbs by surgery date

tutugirlie
on 9/19/12 10:16 pm - CA
I am 3 weeks out and had to do the optifast also prior to surgery I had lost about 10 pounds in those two weeks ... I think I had to have it 7 times a day ... it wasn't as bad as I thought but by the end of it I was ready to be done lol ... good luck with your surgery
poet_kelly
on 9/20/12 12:18 am - OH
I just stayed one night.  If you don't have complications, I don't see why you'd need to stay longer and I agree with your surgeon, most people will recover better at home.  Plus hospitals are full of nasty, drug-resistant germs so the sooner you can get out of there, the better.

You should have no trouble losing 11 pounds in four weeks on Optifast.  I'd be kind of surprised if you didn't lose more than that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sheila W.
on 9/20/12 2:33 am
Thanks everyone!!! and I'm off, Opti granola for breakfast!  :-) 

I'm a nurse, so I have my little back of treats as I leave at 545a and am usually not home until 815p.  So I'll drink all 5 away from home.  My doctor did tell me to carry a boullion cube with me for lightheadiness related to low sodium.  I'm so very excited for this change coming up in my life and know today is the first step towards that!!!!

This website has been such a huge blessing as I work towards my surgery date!!!!

Sheila
Sugery date Oct 19
SkinnyDipper
on 9/20/12 9:33 am - Canada
I was only on optifast for 13 days and started at 290 lbs, I dropped 11 lbs in 10 days on it. You will rock the Optifast, mix it with ice or blend it. The key is to drink it really cold!

I had surgery Monday am and was home Wednesday am, back to work after 8 days.

Good luck and I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Check out my blog @ http://theskinnydipper.blogspot.ca/
Most Active