Prilosec and baby aspirin therapy

Dave Chambers
on 9/17/12 11:31 am - Mira Loma, CA

My insurance company sent me a letter highly recommending taking a baby aspirin daily since a recent test noted some calcification (atherosclerosis). I tried calling my bariatric doctor, but had to write her an email within my insurance's website.  My surgeon's nuse told me to only do this in conjuction with taking Prilosec, and to contact my doctor for a script.  I just got a letter back from my bariatric doc, stating they don't write scripts for OTC meds.  I checked a local pharmacy website, and noted the OTC Prilosec (all 3 sized boxes) were advertised as time released meds.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

laura_vermont
on 9/17/12 12:03 pm
I don't have any answers to the prilosec issue.  I would use extreme caution with baby aspirin.  My aunt, a fellow ryn'er, had a major incident following use of prescribed baby aspirin.  She had a bleeding ulcer that lead to loss of consciousness.  If you decide to do it, at least wear a medic alert type bracelet / tag / necklace, to identify your having rny.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

marianthelibrarian
on 9/17/12 1:25 pm
I'm on baby aspirin therapy daily, and my surgeon has me on Nexium daily because of it.  Before I was on Nexium, I was on Prilosec by prescription, which is much cheaper.  You might have to take it twice per day.  I did that for a while with my band.  If your surgeon won't prescribe it for you, you could ask your PCP.

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

Dave Chambers
on 9/17/12 1:27 pm - Mira Loma, CA

My bariatric doc wrote back and said Medicare won't pay for script version of an OTC medication.  She also asked me "what nurse" told me to take Prilosec. I told her it was my surgeon's nurse who's dealt with RNY patients for over 6 years.  I checked Walgreens web site, and the Prilsec OTC listed there says "delayed release"--is this the same as extended release meds, the ones we're not supposed to take? Box also says to use for 14 days and then stop. Can this be used safely for long term with baby aspirin therapy? DAVE 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

artroxy blue
on 9/17/12 2:11 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Prilosec is an extended-release medication, so you would probably have to take two per day to make sure you're getting the full dosage. I was on Prilosec when I was Pre-op, and I took it for a few months without issue. I asked the same thing since the package says to only take for 14 days. I don't know if it's something you'd want to take for the rest of your life, though. Can you take a different one if you need to be on aspirin therapy? Currently, I'm taking Pepcid for the first three months post-op, then we'll reassess if I need to use Prilosec again. 
Most Active
Recent Topics