Stalled for 2 weeks! Im a failure!!!

MariaCamilo926
on 9/14/12 11:51 am - NY
SOrry if this is too long or if I sound like a cry baby but here goes...

I had my surgery on August 20th and since surgery I lost 18lbs and then gained back 2lbs then lost nothing else! Im super frustrated because I am trying everything I could think of...I try to get as much protein and water in and have recently started walking at least 30 mins a day and NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!

My surgeon wants me to get at least 60g of protein a day and past few days I been doing 80-90 and 64-70oz of water and my weight just wont budge!

I know that I have to put my part to lose weight but at this stage post op shouldn't I be losing weight even if I was just sitting on my butt doing nothing???

This is my second surgery, I was revised from a sleeve to an RNY because I was having stricture and the only thing I could get down were slider foods which obviously were not good and I started to slowly gain! That depressed me so bad that I just stopped caring and I binge ate! I went from 241lbs to 210 with my first surgery untill the strictures then I went back up to 230lbs. Whith this surgery I was 225 day of surgery went down to 208 and now I am 210lbs!!!!

I really dont want to fail....I welcome any suggestions!
Maria

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/14/12 12:01 pm
You're not a failure. Stalls happen to all of us. Revisions also tend to lose a bit more slowly, but not always.

Continue to track your protein, do please stay off the scale for awhile, and watch your carbs to make sure they aren't creeping up on you. Above all, be kind to yourself.

Work your plan, and it will work.

best of luck

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

cajungirl
on 9/14/12 12:04 pm
You are NOT a failure.  Wlecome to week 3 stall, yep it happens to the majority and it can last a few weeks.  If you haven't taken your measurements do so NOW. 

I'll share my experience to let you see how it worked for me.  From week 3-5 I lost .5 lbs so literally nothing.  On week 6 I lost 6 lbs overnight.  Crazy to see these things happen but it does so be prepared knowing this might be your first but more than likely not your last.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

garnetgal
on 9/14/12 12:04 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
You are definately not a failure and neither is your surgery! Just keep working your plan. Stalls happen and while you may not be losing pounds you are most likely losing inches! Did you measure yourself prior to surgery? If so check your measurements! I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

MissLisaD
on 9/14/12 12:16 pm - CA
RNY on 05/31/12
I've been at the same 5 pound weight range up and down for the past month and I'm only 15 weeks post op.  I'm trying to ignore the scale.  I think you just have to stick to it, and don't focus so much on the scale (easier said than done!).  I noticed that my clothes are getting bigger even though I'm not seeing real movement on the scale.  We have to be patient and go through the process.  A couple of my friends have told me that they expected to see the weight disappear faster, and I wanted to slap both of them! It's GOING TO COME OFF! :) Don't worry hun...we are going to DO THIS!!! Focus on NSVs, try weighing yourself less and I promise you'll be less stressed!

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

MissLisaD
on 9/14/12 12:19 pm - CA
RNY on 05/31/12
P.S.  I also know how it is to be right at that point where you're ALMOST under 200 but not quite....I think that was the most stressful time for me.  I promise you'll make it there!  I thought for a while........what if my body just doesn't want to be under 200?  What if I'm going to be here forever?  TRUST ME.....you're body is going to get there!!!!!!!!!!  

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

missdani2u
on 9/14/12 12:22 pm
Revision on 08/13/12
(((Hugs)))  This is my second surgery too I had a sleeve 7/23/12 and was revised to RNY 8/13/12 because I had a stricture and a ulcer I couldnt even keep down water.... I totally understand how you're feeling. I just came out of a 2 week stall. Keep the faith and keep up the hard work.The weight will come off.
Dave Chambers
on 9/14/12 12:34 pm - Mira Loma, CA

You're an early post op. If you have physical, you should be doing some minor form of exercise almost daily for 20-30 minutes daily.  Yes, minimal effort is needed as a recent post op, BUT you need to start the protocol, whi*****ludes exercise.  Water wt from TOM can cause temporary water retention wt.  Watch high carb foods, sugar content, meal portions, and don't drink for 20 minutes before or after meals.  If you drink with meals, any nutrition from foods is washed out of your pouch.  I'd highly suggest you find a local support group to attend at least once a month.  Depression is not uncommon with post ops, so if that is still an issue that causes you to seek food, you need to talk to someone. In some cases, earlier life traumas (divorce, abusive childhood, abusive marriage, rape, etc.) can cause deep seated psyche issues where you go for food when you get depressed.  If you think this could be an issue, I strongly urge you to talk to a professional. Anxiety on antidepressant meds help a lot of post ops.  At one of my support meetings, there are usually one or more post ops who talk about the benefits they've realized since talking about their issues and how much better they feel with or with added medications. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MariaCamilo926
on 9/16/12 11:22 am - NY
On September 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Pacific Time, Dave Chambers wrote:

You're an early post op. If you have physical, you should be doing some minor form of exercise almost daily for 20-30 minutes daily.  Yes, minimal effort is needed as a recent post op, BUT you need to start the protocol, whi*****ludes exercise.  Water wt from TOM can cause temporary water retention wt.  Watch high carb foods, sugar content, meal portions, and don't drink for 20 minutes before or after meals.  If you drink with meals, any nutrition from foods is washed out of your pouch.  I'd highly suggest you find a local support group to attend at least once a month.  Depression is not uncommon with post ops, so if that is still an issue that causes you to seek food, you need to talk to someone. In some cases, earlier life traumas (divorce, abusive childhood, abusive marriage, rape, etc.) can cause deep seated psyche issues where you go for food when you get depressed.  If you think this could be an issue, I strongly urge you to talk to a professional. Anxiety on antidepressant meds help a lot of post ops.  At one of my support meetings, there are usually one or more post ops who talk about the benefits they've realized since talking about their issues and how much better they feel with or with added medications. DAVE

I have been following the protocol to the best of my abilities. I measure food and read the labels. I also make sure I follow the drinking rules. I am having is with water...I cant seem to get enough of it in everyday but most days I am good. I'm good with my protein and vitamins. The only thing that was a big problem was working out because I had a bad abdominal pain to the left of my belly button. I was unable to walk even the smallest amounts (3 blocks to my Son's school) without bad pain. It has subsided some and so I started to use the treadmil for 30-45 minutes a day.  
Last week was my TOM and so I tried to be patient thinking I will start losing again after it was done but still nada.

I have my 1st follow up with my surgeon and nut on weds. I will ask about the support meetings then and also make a follow up appt with the psych.

Thanks for the advice.
Maria

Marie A.
on 9/14/12 12:43 pm
Yup...it's normal... I'm 5 months out and I stalled right at the same time as you and it's frustrating as hell!  It's soooo hard to stay off the scale when your trying so hard and get excited to see the results.  It took me some time, but I had to learn that...like all the veteran's say...it's a journey.  Keeping a food log helps keep me honest and I always have protein first and very little carbs.  I also make sure I do not drink for at least a half hour or more after I've eaten.  It will pass and all of a sudden you'll start losing again...  

Hang in there...better days are coming! 

~Marie

It's not who you are that holds you back...
It's who you THINK your NOT!

highest weight = 315     pre-op weight = 290     current weight = 145

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics