What would YOU do?

Wrapdiva
on 9/14/12 6:52 pm - Auburn Hills, MI
RNY on 11/05/12
 I have been approved for surgery since August 23rd by my medical insurance.  My surgeons office knows of my approval & has my Authorization #, but cannot schedule my surgery until they have something in writing from my insurance company.  My insurance company claims they sent an authorization letter to my home as well as to my surgeons office.  I have yet to recieve anything & I have been watching my mailbox like a hawk since August 23rd!  I called my insurance again last Friday to tell them that both myself & my surgeon have not received the letter.  They explained that they will send out another letter.  That was a week ago, & I still haven't received the "Second" letter.  

I'm getting very anxious as I have some huge career events coming up in a few months & I should have had my surgery scheduled already!  What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

~Amy

"In order to ACHIEVE something different, you need to DO something different"

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/12 7:00 pm - OH
Call the insurance company and ask them to FAX the authorization to the surgeon.  I am surprised that they said the mailed it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dave Chambers
on 9/14/12 7:01 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I'd ***** some more.  Ask them to send you a copy to your email.  At this point, you have no idea whether the letter was actually generated or not.  If you have to, ask for a supervisor, office manager--someone in charge. I got tired of dealing with the lower level staff members whenever I had problems with charge accounts, items that were not received in the mail, etc.  don't rely on the info you hear from whomever answers the phone.  You've made more than one call so far with no results. You should ask for a supervisor to deal with. If someone is available on Sat, call. Or if you haven't gotten any letter this weekend, a call to your insurance company is in order for Monday. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MissK123456789
on 9/14/12 7:02 pm - PA
I second that...FAX!
iam2tweet
on 9/14/12 7:02 pm
If your medical insurance is thru your employeer, I highly suggest that you talk to your HR department and explain what is going on.  You may need to sign a release for them to help on your behalf, but they have contacts at the insurance company that can get fast results.  They can have the insurance fax the HR department any information you need to speed up your process.  
If you don't go that route and your insurance is local, walk into their office and talk with a customer service rep.  Once you are face to face you should get what you need immediately.
I'm over benefits at my employer, and I talk to my medical insurance rep on a regular basis to help my employees.
Hope this helps!

Wrapdiva
on 9/14/12 7:08 pm - Auburn Hills, MI
RNY on 11/05/12
 Awesome!  Great ideas, I don't know why I didn't think about having them fax it to my surgeon!  My insurance is actually through my husbands employer, but it doesn't matter because I'm at the point that if the mail comes tomorrow with no letter, they will definitely be hearing a more "vocal" side of me on Monday.

Thanks a bunch!!  

~Amy

2legit2quit
on 9/14/12 12:12 pm, edited 9/14/12 12:13 pm - MS
RNY on 10/24/12
I would suggest talking to the person who actually sends out the letter.  Also it doesn't sound right if your office knows of approval and has authorization #.  My bariatric coordinator knew of my approval and the insurance company told her that haven't sent out letter yet.  She was ready to schedule asap. She wanted to schedule me for the Oct. 1st.  I had to put a halt to that so that I could get FMLA approval  from work.   I would call everyday and until they get tired of you calling!!!
Wrapdiva
on 9/14/12 7:16 pm - Auburn Hills, MI
RNY on 11/05/12
 Yep, apparently my surgery center absolutely needs it in writing before they can schedule surgery. I'm not sure why, but those are their rules.  My insurance company said the same thing "Your surgeon has your approval number, so they should be able to schedule surgery".  Unfortunately, I think that's why I haven't received my letter yet.  Insurance company probably doesn't see it as necessary, but it is.  haha

~Amy

GraceGirl
on 9/14/12 7:21 pm
They faxed everything for me....FAX for sure!!

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

babs_02
on 9/14/12 7:25 pm - NY
send them a registered letter and tell them to immediately respond by faxing all of your paperwork with approvals and so forth to the doctors office with a copy to you.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views